Special School Admissions — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Special School Admissions

Options
SteveF
SteveF Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2021 in Education
Good evening,

My son is almost five, diagnosed with Autism and Global Development Delay.

He was initially offered a space at a special school, who had arranged for him to visit and the Local Authority had contacted us to arrange his transport there.

The visit was cancelled due to coronavirus (no issue with that), but we heard nothing more so I contacted the school by email to ask what was happening. They didn’t reply but rang up to say that his place wasn’t there any more as they didn’t think they could meet his needs. There was no attempt to discuss his needs with us or his nursery (mainstream setting who have no significant issues).

Little man is non-verbal and still in nappies, nobody could reasonably conclude that a mainstream school is suitable for him. His EHCP isn’t due to be published in draft form until August 9th, but all of the professional reports for it have been available for some time.

The Local Authority have told me they are consulting with other schools but they don’t expect to hear back from them until School staff return from the holidays in September, which is clearly too late for little man. They will not tell me what they propose to do to provide him an education in the meantime, despite me reminding them more than once that they are legally obliged to do so.

Has anyone ever experienced this situation, and is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks,
Steve
Tagged:

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.