2 telephone assesments? Why? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

2 telephone assesments? Why?

Options
staffydog33
staffydog33 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited August 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I had a telephone assesment about 5 weeks ago, lasted about 45 mins, basically, I have been diagnosed with anxiety, social anxiet/phobia and severe depression.

Plus i have had back suegery twice.

In the assesmnet the person assesing me never once asked about anything other than my mental health.

So I thought nothing of it.

5 weeks go by and i'm thinking a letter comes through the door.

I was just assuming it would be a decision letter, but ohhhhhh no.

took them 5 weeks to write to me and say i must have a SECOND telephone assesment this monday and i'm in a mess about it.

Please, can anyone tell me why they would need a second telephone assesment, im gettting paranoid and really really anxious.

Has this happend to anyone before??

thanks
Matt

Comments

• daisy1838
    daisy1838 Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    Options
    It may be a lack of information from the first assessment. Have real life examples of how each condition impact your daily life and mobility. 

Having back surgery or a diagnosis of anxiety etc doesn’t entitle you to pip, it’s all about your care needs, help you do and don’t get, what you can and can’t do and why.
  • staffydog33
    Options
    oh my god i feel so stupid now, its reading your reply made me just think ....i was on the phone for ages but all the genuinely love lady talked about was my mental health, no mention at all about my back and other physical stuff!

Oh my god i feel kinda silly, now, but you have helped bigtime!!! rthanks sooooooo much!

Matt
  • daisy1838
    daisy1838 Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    Options
    Have a look at the pip points system and see how your answers compare. 

They don’t know you, so will only go off what they’re told and learn about you. How easily, safely, reliably and often you can do something etc. 

Please try not to worry, by the sounds of it you have the opportunity to turn it around.

hope you’re having a relaxing Sunday 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Pleased daisy1838 has helped, Matt. Pre-Covid, I had a PIP face to face assessment, & afterwards I said to my son that not everything had been discussed...this all before I joined this forum. The health care professionals' assessments are randomly audited to ensure their quality, & perhaps you & I are fortunate that this happens. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/personal-independence-payment-assessment-guide-for-assessment-providers/pip-assessment-guide-part-3-health-professional-performance   scrolling down to section 3.4 Quality audit.
    I had a letter asking me to attend another face to face assessment a couple of weeks later; thought it was a clerical error, but didn't want it to be thought I wouldn't attend. So, yes, a 2nd assessment, where everything was discussed fully. Not much fun going through 2 assessments, but it happens!
    Just to add, look at these descriptors/activities that are looked at with PIP: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf    then try to ensure with your next assessment that you try & give a couple of real life examples as to the difficulties you face for each applicable descriptor.....what happens, when did it happen, who witnessed it, why exactly was doing/attempting an activity difficult, &. if appropriate, how did it leave you feeling afterwards? Please do come back with any questions....& good luck.
  • staffydog33
    Options
    Well, had my 2nd telephone assesment today, 1hour 30 mins long and it turned out not to be that they needed extra info etc, It was they said they had no idea that I had already had a telephone assesment - FIVE WEEKS ago!

Even though it was the exact same person who gave me the first assesment!!

incompetent is an understatement!

With regards to IF my claim Is a sucess - how many weeks will go into my account?

I sent the original form off via recorded delivery to apply for PIP on 14th April.

Any help will be very much appreciated

thanks
    Matt

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @staffydog33 - I'm surprised by this, but hopefully your assessment went well. If this is your first PIP claim (& not one migrating from Disability Living Allowance/DLA), then, as you say, if awarded, you should be paid from the date you rang to claim PIP (so before 14 April), which I hope is a little bit of good news. Please see: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/how-to-claim/    for confirmation.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    staffydog33 said: With regards to IF my claim Is a sucess - how many weeks will go into my account?

I sent the original form off via recorded delivery to apply for PIP on 14th April.
    If this is your first claim then any award is backdated to the date you first rang PIP to request the form.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • staffydog33
    Options
    Can I just say thankyou to every single person here and even more so to the people that have taken the time with their amazing responses.....this seems like such a caring and helpful place i feel honoured to be here!

thanks
    Matt

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.