My son has ASD and struggles to work. UC have asked him to start job searching. Can anyone advise? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My son has ASD and struggles to work. UC have asked him to start job searching. Can anyone advise?

Options
Chil56
Chil56 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi
my son was diagnosed as on the autistic spectrum at the age of 8. He is now 26 and although he did work pre-Covid on a casual zero hours contract as a food delivery cyclist,  he now finds it impossible to even consider working. The covid pandemic has exacerbated his OCD and social anxiety.
He has claimed universal credit for the past 12 months but is now being asked to start job searching. This is very stressful for him and he says he will stop claiming and therefore will have no income.
can anyone advise?
thank you
Chil
Tagged:

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Chil56 - welcome to the community, & thank you for joining. I'm sorry your son's OCD & social anxiety has worsened during this pandemic. Many other of our members have found the same that suffer in a similar way; it has been very difficult indeed for people with mental health issues.
    As far as his Universal Credit goes, did your son mention his health conditions when he claimed UC? If so, he could add a note on his journal that these conditions have worsened. If he didn't, perhaps now is the time to mention them, saying he finds them so problematic now that he feels incapable of working. If he is then reassessed & placed in the Limited Capability for Work related Activity group, he wouldn't be expected to work. Nothing is certain, but perhaps him worth considering rather than stopping claiming.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome from the community from me too @Chil56 :) Thanks for joining, and for asking your question. Just to let you know, I've moved your post into our universal credit category, and renamed it so that it's easier for other members to see what your post is about.

As chiarieds has said, it'd be worth him looking into limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA). Citizens Advice have some information on that here.

Is he in receipt of any other benefits? If he's not already in receipt of PIP, that's also something he might want to look into. Entitledto have some information about PIP on their website.

I'm also sorry to hear that his OCD and social anxiety has become worse since the coronavirus pandemic. Is that something he's been able to access any support for at all?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 612 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi,

I have autism and was forced to find work through the job center which eventually made me ill. What you need to do is speak to your GP and get a "fit note" saying that your son isn't fit for work and then report the sick note in his UC account. After you have reported the medical conditions and fit notes you should be then referred for a Work capability assessment after a few months of reporting sick notes or 28 days.

Once your son has his assessment he should be placed in the LCWRA group and he'll get more money per month and not have to look or be forced into work. just be aware that it can take some time for an assessment however if you keep providing fit notes without a gap you won't have to look for work.

Hope this helps and goodluck.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.