Disability Trust HELP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability Trust HELP

Options
martino
martino Community member Posts: 5 Listener
i am emailing you as was suggested by my local citizens advice bureau, i am a married man with two disabled sons and myself and my wife are there carers, one son is 24 and the other son 18  and who would not have the capability to look after themselves when our time is up. and to be quite frank we are in the benefits system  and do not have the finances to do the setting up of a disability trust and a court of protection, the situation is this although down the line myself and my wife would be the beneficiaries of an inheritance we would like those assets to be sold and buy our sons a home that would go into trust so it would give us peace of mind they would always have a home and they would be protected and have social care support, but as mentioned we just do not have the funds to put the above into place, if you know of any one who can help that would be fantastic, as you can appreciate i have only given you brief  details as there just lots of more question to ask.
Many many thanks.

Comments

• atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @martino

A very warm welcome.

Although it can sound difficult to set up a trust and power of attorney, it is fairly simple.

What you do need is a good solicitor.

You could try and speak to you local Community Law Centre, if you send details of the region that you live in, I will search.

Also local law firms offer pro bono (free), for people in your situations.

Also, there are a number of law schools that offer same again.

Keep us updated.
  • atlas47
    Options
    Hi 

try this link to find a law centre.

https://www.lawcentres.org.uk/
  • martino
    Options
    Hi atlas47, i really do appreciate your help, i live in West Oxfordshire and again would be most great full if you could investigate further with the people you mentioned in your post, at last there it's leaving me feeling more optimistic. Many many thanks, Martin.
  • atlas47
    Options
    Hi @martino

Just an update.

Try Oxford Brookes University - School of Law tel: 01865 488 750.

Also Cambridge House Law Centre, London, tel : 020;7338 700.

Will search for pro Bono law firms near you tomorrow.

By chance, do any of your two sons suffer from a learning disability?

Have you got a “named” social worker or independent named advocate?

My daughter is due to arrive shortly, so will be off-line till tomorrow.

Best wishes
  • martino
    Options
    Hi atlas47, yes both sons have a learning disability, and they also have a named social worker, could this have a bearing getting help.
    Many thanks, Martin.
  • atlas47
    Options
    Hi @martino

Yes it does indeed, as MECAP has all the expertise on matters pertinent to you.

Have you dealt with MECAP previously?

Speak tomorrow.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @atlas47 Thanks for your help on this thread, I wonder if you possibly mean MENCAP? I agree, they are a great charity for seeking help where loved ones have a learning disability.

@martino Hello there and a warm welcome from me too :)  In addition to the organisations recommended, I'd encourage you to take a look at the Advice Local website as this helps find free sources of independent advice close to an address (just enter your post-code and select the relevant category from the drop down list on the home page).  Good luck and please keep us posted with how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • martino
    Options
    Hi, once again many thanks for all this great advice.
     Regards, Martin.

• martino
    Options
    Hi atlas47. no i have not had any dealing with Mencap. Regards. Martin.
  • atlas47
    Options
    Hi @martino

I have had great experiences dealing with MENCAP.
    By way of background, my brother in law, has LD, he is now 72 years and resides in a care home, which he likes. MENCAP have helped over a number of years, in getting the likes of direct payments etc.

You phone them, explain your situation, then you will get a call back, for your specific issue.

Their helpline is tel:0808 808 1111, if you go on their website, there are a number of legal guidance that is free.

Also have your sons got an advocate?

If not give the Oxfordshire Advocacy Hub a call on tel: 0300 456 2370, again I got one for brother in law.

Have you spoken to the named social worker, to see what assistance they can provide?

Let us know how you get on.
  • RoyYerkes
    RoyYerkes Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Accept my warm welcome!

<Moderator removed - advertising not permitted on community>
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @RoyYerkes

I hope you are keeping well today.  As previously advised, advertising is not permitted on the community (see our House Rules) so I've removed the link from your comment.  Please bear this in mind when constructing future posts.

Many thanks.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.