Universal credit and ESA support Group — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit and ESA support Group

ottoni1979
ottoni1979 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi, first time posting. I’m a little concerned about some stuff. I was recently put into the support group for ESA contribution and then yesterday I applied for universal credit. However I’m now absolutely sick with worry that by doing this it will now close down my esa claim and they will automatically put me on to LCWRG support group universal credit and they will have to reassess me!
   Do these two benefits run side by side or does UC replace ESA completely. I’m not on income based as my partner works full time. I’m just so worried that I will have to be reassessed and found fit for work, and end up financially worse off! I have already put on my journal that I want to cancel my application for UC

Any answers very appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @ottoni1979 and a warm welcome to the community. 

I just want to start by reassuring you that it doesn't mean that you will be reassessed. Your Support Group decision on ESA will transition to UC and you'll be placed into LCWRA on UC without need for assessment.

As your ESA claim is contribution-based, it will now be converted to New Style ESA. This runs alongside UC and is classed as an overlapping benefit. 
    Whether you'll be entitled to UC alongside your ESA depends on how much your partner earns and your other household circumstances (such as whether you have children, rent, savings).

Do you currently claim any other benefits such as housing benefit, tax credits or PIP?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Because you are already in the ESA Support Group when claiming UC you should be treated as having LCWRA and be entitled to the LCWRA element from the start of your UC claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • ottoni1979
    Hello @ottoni1979 and a warm welcome to the community. 

I just want to start by reassuring you that it doesn't mean that you will be reassessed. Your Support Group decision on ESA will transition to UC and you'll be placed into LCWRA on UC without need for assessment.

As your ESA claim is contribution-based, it will now be converted to New Style ESA. This runs alongside UC and is classed as an overlapping benefit. 
    Whether you'll be entitled to UC alongside your ESA depends on how much your partner earns and your other household circumstances (such as whether you have children, rent, savings).

Do you currently claim any other benefits such as housing benefit, tax credits or PIP?
    Thankyou for the reassuring words, when I rang UC this morning they told me they may do a reassessment depending how long ago my last one was. In my case it was in March of this year. He said he couldn’t guarantee that I won’t be asked for reassessment. When I phoned ESA this morning they told me, that yes they are separate benefits, however depending on what UC decide they may go with their recommendation. Therefore, I’m still going to get UC cancelled as it seems too risky and I can’t stand the thought of another reassessment so soon.
  • ottoni1979
     Sorry, in answer to your questions. No, we don’t receive any other benefits due to my partner working full time. I did apply for PIP, got as far as getting a date through for the telephone assessment and had a panic attack and cancelled it?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    ottoni1979 said:
    Thankyou for the reassuring words, when I rang UC this morning they told me they may do a reassessment depending how long ago my last one was. In my case it was in March of this year. He said he couldn’t guarantee that I won’t be asked for reassessment. When I phoned ESA this morning they told me, that yes they are separate benefits, however depending on what UC decide they may go with their recommendation. Therefore, I’m still going to get UC cancelled as it seems too risky and I can’t stand the thought of another reassessment so soon.
    Hello again @ottoni1979. I'm sorry they've worried you. They are correct in that UC can choose to reassess you at any time, but equally so can ESA. Claiming UC won't automatically mean you are reassessed and shouldn't mean you are reassessed any sooner than you would be normally. 

Have you done a calculation to see if you'd be entitled to some UC alongside your ESA? Have you considered trying to claim PIP again?
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.