Hi, my name is Dawnagain! Would attending this part-time course impact my benefits? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Dawnagain! Would attending this part-time course impact my benefits?

Options
Dawnagain
Dawnagain Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2021 in Education
Hello everyone, I have been on UC LCWRA and PIP for 4 years I have spinal stenosis with sciatica, I was wondering if I could attend a part time college course from sept, learning Gel nails and makeup, would this affect my benefits.
kind regards Dawn

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Dawnagain - & welcome to the community. PIP isn't affected by such a course, so long as doing such the course doesn't contradict why you were awarded PIP.
    As far as UC goes, there's some info here: https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-help/individuals/education/frequently-asked-questions-students

'Can I continue to claim Universal Credit as a part-time student?

As a part-time student you can continue to claim Universal Credit if your course is compatible with your work-related requirements. If you are subject to all work-related requirements under Universal Credit you must show that you meet these, despite being on a part-time course. What your work-related activities are will depend on your circumstances. For example, if you are expected to look for work and be available for work, you will have to show that your course won’t stop you from doing this.

Universal Credit is means-tested. If you are entitled to a student finance you will need to take advice on how this might affect your Universal Credit.'

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you have LCWRA you have no work related requirements so the issue of proving that you can still meet them will not arise. The only issue is whether attending the course indicates that you could, the majority of the time, do activities which your LCWRA is based on you not being able to do. If that issue arises it might prompt an earlier reassessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Dawnagain
    Options
    Thank you for replying, I struggle a lot every day and my mental health is suffering, I thought a course might help .  
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Dawnagain

Welcome to the community, good to see you join us and I hope the above replies have been helpful for you. 

You mentioned there that you struggle daily and your mental health isn't in a good place at the minute, do you receive any support to manage your condition? Is your GP aware of how impacted your mental health is at the minute? It might be worth speaking with them to see if they could support you in any way.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Dawnagain
    Options
    Hello, my GP is aware and very supportive of my conditions,it was him that suggested a little course of 3 hours a week may be therapeutic. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.