Hi, my name is jkc196710! Does anybody ever feel unsafe when using a mobility scooter? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is jkc196710! Does anybody ever feel unsafe when using a mobility scooter?

Options
jkc196710
jkc196710 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Ive  been wondering if anyone on here who
also uses a mobility scooter has had times where they don’t feel safe using it as there are some crazy car drivers who either speed around on the road or park so close on the pavements you scratch your scooter trying to get by 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jkc196710

Welcome to the community, good to see you join us. 

This is quite a common issue I imagine, and I'm sorry that you experience it regularly, it must be quite scary. 

I'm sure that other members will have had similar experiences with this.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • TartanTeapot
    TartanTeapot Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    Hello @jkc196710, I have just joined the community too...

I love my mobility scooter, it is the best thing in the world for me. It did take me a while to get used to it though.  At first I was convinced everyone was staring at me and making derogatory comments... 

I get very cross when people park and block pavement access or the bit where the pavement has been lowered.  My take is that if their vehicle is blocking my access then it's their fault.  I don't enjoy bin day, as the bins are always left scattered across the pavements too!  I am lucky to live on the edge of Cambridge, there are good pavements etc.  If there are people inside vans that are blocking the pavement for deliveries etc, normally they move away and are very apologetic.  I have had to learn the best routes with the widest pavements and easiest-to-cross-the-road places.   Hopefully with a bit more practice, and identifying easier routes, your confidence will improve? 

Good luck and keep practicing-

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.