PIP assessment - I've been sent video call appointment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP assessment - I've been sent video call appointment

Options
daisy223
daisy223 Community member Posts: 6 Connected
edited August 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I got a letter today with an appointment for a PIP video assessment. I'm really scared. It's for my first PIP review which I've been getting since being transferred from DLA a few years ago - last time it was done as a paper-based a assessment, so no interview/face to face or telephone.
It's for mental health - diagnosed with severe anxiety, depression, social phobia.
I hoped for no medical/interview again but thought if there was one it would be on the telephone and was very anxious about that as it was, but I find video calls especially difficult. I'm wondering why they want a video call with me when all the recent assessments I've read about on here seem to be telephone? Can I request telephone instead and would that be a good idea?

I'd really appreciate any thoughts, advice, experiences or reassurance because I'm really worrying and keep wanting to just not do it even though I know that'll mean they'll stop my PIP.

Comments

• atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @daisy223

A very warm welcome.

I fully understand your anxiety over being assessed by video.

Can I suggest that you speak to your GP, social worker or support worker. If they will provide you with a letter of support, that in the best interest of your health and well being. A paper review take place, to avoid causing you such harm.

I think we have. been traumatised over the last 18 months, with COVID. No one should have to face something, that can be completely avoided.

Keep us informed and stay safe.
  • daisy223
    Options

Thank you very much for the welcome and your kind words and suggestion.

You're so right about how we've been traumatised; it really hit me when I read your words. It's definitely affected me badly.

My support worker didn't suggest anything like that when I spoke to her this morning and told her how I was feeling, but did say she could be on the call with me if it can be rescheduled (it's for early next week). I might try to speak to her again and ask her about writing something or try speaking to my GP.

Thank you again
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They have made changes, assessments were either paper based or telephone, now they have added video and face2face into the mix.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I’d be interested to know if video assessments are to be mandatory or given an alternative choice? 

What about individuals with no internet access or suitable device? 
  • woodbine
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I would assume that if the claimant had no internet then one of the other options would be chosen. But in this case the claimant obviously does have the internet.

• daisy223
    Options
    MarkN88 said:
    I’d be interested to know if video assessments are to be mandatory or given an alternative choice? 

The appointment letter I've been sent says to let them know if you haven't got internet or a suitable device or nowhere private to call from, so that they can either help or make other arrangements
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @daisy223

If the assessment is next week you need to inform them quickly you want to have alternative options as if not they will be expecting you on the video call

A letter won't get there in time 
  • daisy223
    Options
    woodbine said:
    I would assume that if the claimant had no internet then one of the other options would be chosen. But in this case the claimant obviously does have the internet.

Yes, I've got internet, but nowhere properly private at home to make a video call from  (which would affect a phone call as well). That might be the case for a lot of people?
  • woodbine
    Options
    daisy223 said:
    MarkN88 said:

The appointment letter I've been sent says to let them know if you haven't got internet or a suitable device or nowhere private to call from, so that they can either help or make other arrangements
    As I said above, you are posting here so I assume you have the internet, there are a few reasons why a video assessment would be better than a face2face one.

• daisy223
    Options

Thank you, I'll make sure to do that
  • daisy223
    Options
    Thank you very much @woodbine and @Username_removed for what both of you have said - it's very helpful.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.