Husband claims contribution based ESA. He's called regularly for interview board, is this normal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Husband claims contribution based ESA. He's called regularly for interview board, is this normal?

Options
overwhelmed
overwhelmed Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hubby is 60 claims full PIP both categories and ESA cont. Awarded PIP for 10 years due to disability, but until Covid was regularly called for interview ‘board’ for ESA despite comprehensive medical evidence of significant cognitive issues and permanent injury. He cannot attend alone. Is this ‘normal’? 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,673 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @overwhelmed hi and welcome to scope.
    It depends really what you mean by "interview board" and "regularly" ?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,114 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @overwhelmed - & welcome to the community. As you may well, know PIP & ESA are completely different benefits. So, are you wondering why your husband has an 'ongoing' PIP award, which will be reviewed in 10 years, but has previously had his ESA claim reviewed prior to the pandemic? ESA is help if you have a disability that may affect your ability to work, whereas PIP is about any physical/mental health disability a person may have looking at the PIP activities/descriptors (some activities of daily living &/mobility). So, there are different criteria for each benefit.
    Does this help explain?
  • overwhelmed
    Options
    Thank you both. I just don’t understand how the medical info provided to both is interpreted so differently. He is medically retired and medical reports state he will be unable to work in any capacity due to his disability. So whilst PIP acknowledges it, ESA  seems not to. I understand they are different benefits but how can information be so differently interpreted? The words permanent significant and likely deteriorating  disability would indicate to most people that the likelihood of him becoming suitable for/able to work is nothing short of miraculous. Indeed he can’t even understand the firms provided let alone fill them in! After working for 40 + yeas before his disability he would not be claiming anything unless he needed to. I apologise if I am not always clear but I too am unwell.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    As per woodbine, not clear what you mean by ‘interview board’ and ‘regularly’. Are you referring to health assessment and how often is ‘regularly’?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • overwhelmed
    Options
  • Justcheckingin15
    Justcheckingin15 Community member Posts: 370 Pioneering
    Options
    @overwhelmed..There are some very knowlegable and extremely helpful members on this site,they only ask questions in order to get a clear picture of your situation. If you let them do what they are good at..you may find an answer to your question...SAl the best..in whatever you decide.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I am done
    Simply trying to establish whether your question is about frequent contact from the JobCentre or about having WCA reassessments.

If it is about WCA reassessments then the next time this happens I suggest you explicitly ask thatthat they consider whether any further reviews are recommended in accordance with guidance in the WCA Assessment handbook.
    See 
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/925097/wca-handbook.pdf
    Page 151 and Appendix 8 refer.

Note the reference to changes in 2017. That’s why I asked what you meant by regularly, if the last assessment was before then this option was, as I understand it, not available.

Of course, if your question is not about the WCA none of the above is relevant.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I am done
    Why? People are trying to help you. They need to know what the meaning of the terminology you are using refers to. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @overwhelmed :) I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling frustrated over this, and that you're feeling unwell yourself.

As our members have said, they're just trying to get a little more information so they can see whether they're able to help. I hope that calcotti's link has helped if this is regarding work capability assessments. Please do let us know if you have any further questions, as we're here to help. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.