Swimming for disabled — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Swimming for disabled

Options
Brenda1946
Brenda1946 Scope Member Posts: 58 Courageous
I used to enjoy swimming for pleasure but since my stroke leaving me limited use down left side find it difficult in finding where i can get 1 to 1 help to get started again.  My husband took me before lockdown to our local baths just to see how i could cope.  The staff there were very friendly and helpful offering any swimming aids i needed to try.  Whilst lockdown was on the baths have been up dated and even on their new website there is very little information on swimming of any kind, no pictures of the swimming area or information about the changing area just plenty of pictures of the gym area.  Has anyone any ideas how to get around this, in fact i will have to get my husband to take me there ti check it out.  Have any of you any other ideas?

Comments

• gw1
    gw1 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Brenda,
    I check out leisure centres before I take my daughter swimming. Its more difficult lately but I find the staff are usually very helpful and although it can be difficult to find their contact telephone number it's usually findable if you look on line if you can. 
    Some are asking that you arrive swim ready to restrict numbers in changing facilities and ask that you pre book your swim time on line. Most centres will have a swimming coach for one to one sessions but they will have to be paid. Hope you get back swimming. G
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi @Brenda1946 :) Yes, I agree with gw1 that the best option might be to give them a call. Are you able to find their phone number on their website? 

It might just be that they've updated their website to try and push gym membership. I'd hope that they haven't gotten rid of the changing area or pool itself!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Brenda1946
    Brenda1946 Scope Member Posts: 58 Courageous
    Options
    I have found the number and plan to ring them first and ask if we can come in and look around. Depending on what they say hope they ask us to call and hope the offer to show what they have for disabled.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That sounds like a good plan @Brenda1946 :) If you mention your accessibility needs on the phone they might be more likely to talk this through with you or show you what's available when you arrive. Good luck, and let us know how you get on!

How long have you been swimming for?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Brenda1946

You might find this leaflet by the Stroke Association of interest.

https://www.stroke.org.uk/sites/default/files/media-root/r09_leisure_activities_after_stroke_v3_nov_2019_web.pdf

In particularly if there is a stroke club near you. They will know what swimming is available.

Keep us informed.

Our swimmers did us proud!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.