If I start work, will I lose carers allowance and PIP mobility vehicle? Would my partner lose LCWRA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

If I start work, will I lose carers allowance and PIP mobility vehicle? Would my partner lose LCWRA?

Options
shaunm7
shaunm7 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited August 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Good Morning,
I am looking for some advice please.
My partner and myself are both on benefits due to illnesses/disabilities and we both claim U.C, Carers and PiP.
My PiP is used for a mobility vehicle so we are both able to get around and away from the boredom of the house and my partner gets our UC topped up with lwcra.
Now the thing is I have mental health issues and I'm not afraid to admit this but I have gotten it into my head I am fit enough to go back to work. I have been and spoke to an employer who is happy to employ me. We understand (took a while for my partner to get me to understand) due to this I will loose the carers allowance for my partner, we will loose the UC due to me working but the thing we aren't sure about is does my partner loose her lwcra and what happens to my PiP (mobility vehicle)? 
Can anyone please help
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Your PIP will not be affected in any way by working 

You may not lose your uc 

You will have a work allowance meaning you can earn a certain amount before it affects your uc and if you earn over that amount you will lose 63p for every pound you earn over the work allowance 

I'm not sure about carers do you get carers through uc if so you can work as long as you still care 35 hours a week 

Lcwra will still be paid 

Are you going to be working full time ? 

It may help doing a benefits calculator so you can enter all your details in 

Other members will be able to help who know more about benefits 

I will ask admin to move your post into the benefits section which should let more people see

@Tori_Scope
    @Chloe_Scope
    @Ross_Scope

Can you move this post to benefits section 
  • shaunm7
    shaunm7 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Options
    Thank you so much janer1967
    Yes if I go back to work I'll be full time. But I'm still going to be catering for my partner when I'm not working 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would do the benefits calculator as it all depends on both your circumstances and put in you are carer and what your earnings are etc 

You can find one on gov website 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP will not be affected unless the work you're going to do contradicts why you're claiming PIP. You will need to report that you're starting a job to UC, & here's some info about UC & working: https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/how-your-earnings-affect-your-payments, There's also a benefits calculator here: https://benefits-calculator-2.turn2us.org.uk/  

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    shaunm7 said:
    Thank you so much janer1967
    Yes if I go back to work I'll be full time. But I'm still going to be catering for my partner when I'm not working 
    You will still be entitled to the carer element in UC so your joint maximum UC amount will not change.
    shaunm7 said:
    ..we will loose the UC due to me working but the thing we aren't sure about is does my partner loose her lwcra ..
    You have slightly misunderstood UC and LCWRA. These are not separate benefits. The LCWRA just goes in as part of the calculation of your (joint) maximum UC entitlement. Once this amount is calculated it is irrelevant how it is made up. The deduction for earnings is made from your whole UC amount.

As suggested by others the best way to find out what you will get is to use a benefits calculator.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.