Bell's Palsy / Anxiety. Should I change my role to a non-facing one? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bell's Palsy / Anxiety. Should I change my role to a non-facing one?

Options
drongo22
drongo22 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I was a long time user of Seroxat (paxil) 12 years+ which I took to curb debilitating panic attacks owing to social anxiety. I weaned myself off them 3 years ago. Last year I was hit by Bells Palsy which has affected my confidence as I can no longer smile as one side of face is lopsided. I work as an engineer for a large telecommunications company however I am getting the same anxious feelings when going to customers premises as I often get questioned regarding my face / or told to 'chin-up/smile etc'. Some days I don't need to visit customers as the work is in the external network or exchanges. My eye on the affected side also weeps alot owing to the lid only opening two thirds of the other one. Do you think I should ask my employer to consider changing my role to a non-facing one? Or am I wasting my time and just go to the doctors to see about antidepressants? Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @drongo22

Thanks for your post, and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing Bell's Palsy, I can understand why those reactions from others have resulted in your confidence being dented. Have you discussed your Bell's Palsy with your docotrs? Have they been able to support you at all to manage it? 

Regarding your work, initially it might just be worth discussing your concerns with your employer, in case they have any suggestions that might help the situation. Have you done this?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sure the customers are genuinely interested/concerned but really they should be minding their own business.  It's up to you whether you like the majority of your current job and could put up with the comments & anxiety or whether you would feel better overall in a non customer facing role.  I would assume there is plenty of opportunity for other roles in a large company, which there may not have been within a smaller one.

You could always change your hairstyle to cover it like the singer Gabrielle.  Though I reckon she still gets questioned about that on a regular basis instead of her condition!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.