Hi, I'm goggs1979! Can I get help with funding household items? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm goggs1979! Can I get help with funding household items?

Options
goggs1979
goggs1979 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
i am seeing if i am able to get help with purchasing household items. i am a Bristol city Council Tennent. i have been in receipt of ESA for the past 10 years along with full housing benefits.and  the last time i claimed for such funding was when i was moving into my current address which was 42 months 

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @goggs1979 and a warm welcome to our community, how are you?

We recently had a thread started by a member in a similar position that you might find helpful to read.  On that, I recommended:
    There's a few things you could look at to help with furnishing your home:
    • Many social housing providers supply furniture packages to tenants who need it.  If you live in social housing, give them a call to enquire.  
    • Some councils have a Local Welfare Assistance Scheme for low-income families.  Contact your local council to see if they have anything like this.
    • Dependent on what benefits you're on and for how long, you could apply for a budgeting loan or budgeting advance (if on Universal Credit).  Although bear in mind - any money you get will have to be repaid gradually from your future benefits.  
    Do you think any of those would help?  What household items are you looking for?

Just to let you know, I've moved your thread to our Housing and independent living category and tweaked the title to help others easier spot it :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @goggs1979

I hope you are well today and welcome to the community.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi @goggs1979

Have you thought about joining a Credit Union?

This would enable you to take out a loan, to make the purchases you need.

There a number of charities in your area, that sell, used household items.

Take a look at this link about local Credit Union, worth speaking to them, in first instance.

https://greatwesterncu.org/

Keep us informed.
  • Silverfox3824
    Silverfox3824 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Charities can access you for grants BUT your not guaranteed they need to see your income & outgoings normally a bank statement 3 months worth.
    Need to know what house hold items you need. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,656 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    atlas47 said:
    Hi @goggs1979

Have you thought about joining a Credit Union?

This would enable you to take out a loan, to make the purchases you need.

There a number of charities in your area, that sell, used household items.

Take a look at this link about local Credit Union, worth speaking to them, in first instance.

https://greatwesterncu.org/

Keep us informed.
    Most CU's ask that you save with them on a regular basis for at least six months before asking them for a loan, a budgeting loan maybe avaliable:

https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-help-benefits
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.