How to make a complaint about Universal Credit? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How to make a complaint about Universal Credit?

Options
sky982
sky982 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
edited November 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello,

I actually think I posted about this a while ago but its still unresolved so just posting to see if anyone knows what I could do.
I should be receiving the one bedroom rate of the housing element despite being under 35 due to being in receipt of PIP. They continue to pay me the shared room rate despite numerous messages on the journal, 2 phone calls, 2 complaints via their complaint system and someone actually saying on the journal they can see I receive PIP, this has been going on since March when I first was moved over to UC. Is there another way to make a complaint that is a third person party? because I feel the DWP just keep ignoring/fobbing me off with messages like 'its being looked in to, will chase it up tomorrow' etc

Comments

• Jamesd49
    Jamesd49 Posts: 132 Connected
    Options
    Try your MP?

I have been having issues with UC and I spoke to disability law who said for me to try my local partnership team as they can help with anything UC/benefit related and are good at either helping or passing you to somebody who can. If you look at the below link, find the email for the team local to you and send them an email, may help speed things up

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-partnerships/national-partnership-teams
  • cazza6565
    cazza6565 Community member Posts: 93 Courageous
    Options
    This is my tuppence worth. I submitted a complaint for myself via the UC Complaint form on the 6th July 2021 and they are supposed to  respond within 15 days, several journal entry messages then  told me it will be actioned by a case manager by the 8th August, surprisingly  no response at all. I have also met with my MP and she has had no reply from the DWP either.  Yesterday I then emailed the Independent Case Examiner  My anger is you cant proceed to a stage 2 until you have a final response from a stage 1 but as I have no reply from them at all I have no choice but to try and get some answers , so im not holding  my breath
  • mariond1010
    mariond1010 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I’ve had problems with UC too! I haven’t even received a penny yet! I was told to attend a meeting (which I did), at that meeting I was told my meeting for the following week was going to be a telephone interview because of my disabilities! The phone call never came!!! So I was sent another appointment for the following week ( which I gathered would be another phone appointment)!! Oh no! I then received a journal message stating “ you didn’t attend….) so now I will not receive what I’m entitled to!!!?‍♀️!!! I’m confused….tomorrow I’m meant to receive a telephone call appointment but have had a text message saying I have an appointment AT the job centre ?? Do I go or do I stay home and wait for the call???? I just don’t know?!?!?! Confused.bloody com!! ????❤️????‍♀️
  • tru88le
    tru88le Posts: 201 Courageous
    Options
    I think there are two avenues of complaint , the dwp  one which lead to nothing  so far for me, the other way is on the same page as the info for a standard complaint but appears to be handled independantly.
    As fir using your MP, I remember ten years ago being impressed with the speed that got results but on the dwp website there is a section about time taken for responses to MP letters which made me realise that nothing can beat the UC door down anymore  a letter from an MP is about as likely to cause a reaction as  doing it yourself, i tried my MP again about all the cash they have took and leaving me with £125 for 3 months but thus far the only response has been a confirmation email from the MP who lets face it just gives it to someone on work experience to deal with, i.e send a letter for him.
    I thought maybe the Minister in charge of the DWP might be more proactive, after all
    How could they not respond to their own boss! As opposed to the easily ignored opposition MP. 
    I might test that route tonight.
  • AZF
    AZF Community member Posts: 36 Connected
    Options
    Hello, with regards MPs, I think getting in touch with your local councillor could be more useful. They can pass stuff onto your MP and are a lot closer to where you are living.
    I hope something gets sorted. 
  • Luana4
    Luana4 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    Have been looking into complaints regarding UC for my niece. She has been paid too much (DWP admitted it’s their mistake), now she has to pay money back and obviously her money has been reduced accordingly as well as repaying the money given to her in error. Due to this she has now lost her home as she could not afford to live there any more. Going through the DWP complaints procedures, you have to follow all steps before taking it to an independent but if DWP do not respond to you, you can’t take a complaint further. They have everyone literally running round in circles. I would recommend your local Councillor who may have knowledge of this or they may be able to put you in touch with a body that can actually help you. Good luck. x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.