Workplace harassment through emails and calls every day, despite isolating due to coronavirus — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Workplace harassment through emails and calls every day, despite isolating due to coronavirus

Options
sceneparade
sceneparade Community member Posts: 95 Courageous
edited August 2021 in Work and employment
Good morning,

I was tested positive for Covid-19 last Thursday, and I was instructed by NHS via email and track and trace to isolate up to and including Friday 13th August. 

However, since I have been isolating, I have been bombarded with emails and phone calls every day. On the third of August, I was called eight times between 14:50 and 16:15, and I have been bombarded with countless emails, some with threats. I have been responding to the emails and I have informed them that, as a result of Asthma, Covid-19 has effected my breathing and left me breathless. I informed them that at this time I am unable to contact them all the time as I was trying to recover from a debilitating illness. My assistant manager in the responding email used the words "to escalate this" as some kind of threat. 

In addition, from employees I have spoken to my employer is spitting blood at me for informing colleagues I have come into contact with to isolate. Subsequent days later and they still haven't been informed by my employer to isolate. On the contrary, they have been told to carry on working. My colleagues only isolated when NHS track trace contacted them to isolate. My employers were deeply unhappy with me for doing this as they don't have employees to cover the duties. 

So, I need advice as to where I stand with my employers harassing while I am off sick and in regards to their threats. They are threatening me with breach of health and safety guidelines, despite trying to break the LAW themselves. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I agree this is out of order and if you are following NHS guidance there should be no recourse 

I understand the employer frustration about losing staff due to isolation but you didn't ask to get covid 

I would put in an official complaint about their conduct and harassment 

Also have a look at ACAS website for more advice 

I have experience on hr management so happy to try and help where I can 
  • sceneparade
    Options
    They are trying to force me to communicate via telephone. I've told them this is not possible as I am breathless and it's a struggle. Can I communicate with them via email without recourse? 
  • Jean Eveleigh
    Jean Eveleigh Scope Member Posts: 185 Pioneering
    Options
    under reasonable adjustments, they have to communicate with you in a manner that is best for you if it is reasonable to do so and no one can argue that e-mails are unreasonable - so on this issue, you would have a case for disability discrimination.

for being told you need to isolate you could get a sick note from your GP to give you fuller protection as isolating is only guidance, not law anymore but a Dr's sicknote is superior and again would cover you under discrimination laws.

The constant phone calls and messages if you have kept records would constitute harrassement

I would contact acas and ask them for advice.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If that is the only way you can communicate then they should accept that 

Send a email saying you consider communication via email is a reasonable adjustments that should be permitted under the circumstances 

Are you actually official on sick leave? 
    If so get fit note stating your reason for absence and you can only communicate online 
  • sceneparade
    Options
    Yes, I am officially on sick leave for Covid-19. 

I will be obtaining a sick note next week after I consult with my GP.
  • samanthasti
    samanthasti Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this. It sounds like your employer is being completely unreasonable, and harassment is the last thing you need when you are trying to recover from a debilitating illness.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,629 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just to point out this thread is over a year old and the  OP hasn't been back to the forum since August 2021, having said that hi @samanthasti good evening and a warm welcome to scope.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,053 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through this. It sounds like your employer is being completely unreasonable, and harassment is the last thing you need when you are trying to recover from a debilitating illness.

You've posted on a thread that's 14 months old. I'm sure by now the OP has recovered from Covid and has now returned to work. The Government ended the law for isolation quite sometime ago. Although it is still recommended that you do for at least 5 days. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/health/coronavirus-rules-you-need-to-follow/check-if-you-have-to-self-isolate-because-of-coronavirus/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @samanthasti :) 

Yes, I imagine its been tough for the original poster! 

Have you been through something similar yourself? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • samanthasti
    samanthasti Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited November 2022
    Options

I would advise you to seek legal counsel to see if there is anything you can do to protect yourself from further harassment. I can recommend you the experts from [Removed by moderator - advertising]. In the meantime, try to document everything that is happening, so you have a record of it. Good luck.
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 947 Scope online community team
    Options

We just want to let you know we’ve edited your comment because it contained advertising. For more information about why we removed this, please consider our online community house rules

All the best, 

Tori

Online community team 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.