Mobility Scooter batteries — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mobility Scooter batteries

Options
SouthernBelle
SouthernBelle Community member Posts: 14 Connected
I bought a scooter last Christmas and the batteries are not holding charge, i suspect this is my fault as i didnt realise about over charging, I have been quoted £70 for regular acid batteries or £250 for Lithium ones which they say will mean it holds it charge for 3 times as long. I only use my scooter twice a week but more recently i have ventured on longer days out, yesterday my trip to the zoo with my grandchildren was completely ruined as i was so stressed about the battery, I hope to only have to use the scooter for up to a year more before surgery which should mean i dont need it anymore. I dont know what to do for the best £250 is a lot of money for me but i do have some longer trips planned.   

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Did you buy the scooter new if so I would discuss with where you bought it they should last longer 

Mine has 2 batteries which one takes over if others runs out 

I hope others can help 
  • SouthernBelle
    SouthernBelle Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Options
    Hello and thank you for your reply

I did and i am in discussion with them but i dont think they want to accept responsibility but they haven't said that yet. It has 2 batteries, its just a boot scooter. 

• MichaelS
    MichaelS Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    I've  have two scooters one bought 6 weeks ago ,a small one that can do 15 miles max and dismantles to go in my daughters car boot.  but its important the batteries  need charging after every trip always without fail. Also the motors on these scooter run on 24 volts. Lead acid batteries generally  12 volt hence there are two to make 24 volts on all mobility scooters I would like to know the make of the scooter which has a reserve battery as mentioned in one post?  I am 86 and was a telephone engineer but worked on electromagnetically engineering and electronics on the later half of my career. My second Scooter is a heavy all terrain I've had for 10 days and would not say it anyway fits it that description  and is less capable in some ways than my small scooter except the the distance (35 max ) it can travel and load it can carry.    I wish you all the best SouthernBelle but bear in mind the batteries on mobility scooter are deep cycle and need keeping topped up and not allowed to completely discharge ever, also these are non spill jell type.Take care Regards MichaelS
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @ MichaelS, mobility scooters mostly have AGM type batteries and like you said are connected to produce 24 volts. On larger class 3 scooters AGM. Batteries last about 18 months even charging overnight every day. I have recently renewed my batteries 100amp AGM to GEL type as they are supposed to last much long and can withstand higher discharge rates and recovery is great. Identical batteries AGM I was quoted £325 for each batteries but after searching online I got 2 GEL 100 amp batteries for £595 delivered so I am looking for several years of daily usage 5 to 7 miles each day off road terrain up hill and down stone tracks.
  • MichaelS
    MichaelS Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Hi Wilco, You mentioned in  a  post you had Maxer do they have a reverse sounder/buzzer as I just got one second hand and doesn't  have one or its defunct also the 12 volt out put ( cigarette lighter that is in some care is dead they may share the same fuse it may be in the battery compartment I believe the seat has to swiveled 90 degrees to remove it to get the cowing of . on top of this the drive disengagement pull is stuck and I cant disengage the drive to the rear wheels should this be easy to operate ? 
  • abbyk41
    abbyk41 Community member Posts: 96 Connected
    Options
    How come you guys didn't get it on motabiliyy as they do all the batteries etc that's what I want to do then uou don't have any worries etc 
  • Dyne
    Dyne Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    wilko said:
    @ MichaelS, mobility scooters mostly have AGM type batteries and like you said are connected to produce 24 volts. On larger class 3 scooters AGM. Batteries last about 18 months even charging overnight every day. I have recently renewed my batteries 100amp AGM to GEL type as they are supposed to last much long and can withstand higher discharge rates and recovery is great. Identical batteries AGM I was quoted £325 for each batteries but after searching online I got 2 GEL 100 amp batteries for £595 delivered so I am looking for several years of daily usage 5 to 7 miles each day off road terrain up hill and down stone tracks.

AMG and standard gel batteries require different chargers.

2 gel batteries in series should be charged at between 27.6V minimum and 28.2V maximum during the charge. 28.20V at room temperature.
    2 AGM batteries in series should be charged at 28.8V minimum to 29.2V maximum during the charge.
    It would be best to check a chairs manual to find out what type of batteries it came with.
    Charging lead acid batteries at the wrong voltage will shorten their life.

MK Gel batteries are probably the best lead acid batteries for wheelchair.
    Charge your batteries every night for eight hours+. After the green light comes on on most modern mobility chargers, they are still charging. It is just at a very slow rate at a lower voltage.

The drop in Lithium batteries are not suitable for wheelchairs mostly because these batteries are under powered. They are also a fire hazard.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.