If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Working whilst on UC LCWRA

Options
joannek
joannek Community member Posts: 3 Connected
edited August 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi all 
 I have been on UC & LCWRA not worked since June 2020 
 Hubby earns diff amount each week as an agency teacher. 

i want to do some p/t teaching hours (4-6 pw) and thought, as you advice on here, that there is no limit in hours or money earnt i just take into account my work allowance of £515 ( on our joint claim) and make sure no contradiction in rules etc .... 

However my UC Work Coach insists its the same as ESA (as in max 16 hours a week and limit of £143 pw) .. 

The forums on here plus other disability advice suggest she is wrong but she won't let me chat to decision maker for further clarification. I phoned the UC Helpline a few times this week and each time the person answering tells me something different!!! 

I Need accurate advice asap in order to let my boss know. 
How can i get clarification on this before I start work in a few weeks
 Thank you all

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

You are correct you can work and no limits on hours or earnings on uc 

Any earnings above the work allowance will be deducted by 63p in every pound earnings 

I presume this is already the case with your partner earnings 

Dwp often give incorrect advice as you are speaking to a outsourced call handler not dwp 

To contact your case manager put a note in your journal and mark it as payment query

You must inform them you are going to work 

If you want professional advice contact welfare rights 
  • joannek
    Options
    Hi 
    Thanks for response- yes it works that way with husband income. 
     I will take your advice and add in payments section to see if ii get a different response. 

CA also advised me the 16 hour rule / £143 pw would apply so tearing my hair out here needing correct answer 

Thanks Janer1967

• janer1967
    Options
    Welfare rights are the best to get advice benefits are their specific area 

Look at their website 

Also look on gov website under uc and working If on lcwra 

Other people have asked this look in the uc section on here and you will see the replies and links 
  • joannek
    Options
    Janer1967 
     Yes I've read all the links on here re this topic but that is why i am confused as my work coach insists on telling me otherwise and wont budge!!
  • janer1967
    Options
    Send her the links lol

They are not always the best in their advice 

If your partner works it is the same conditions for you 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    The 16 hours/£143 per week 'permitted work' rule applies to ESA claims. There are no such rules for UC. Very depressing if work coach and CAB are telling you differently. DWP call handlers don't know the rules but a work coach should.
    Permitted work: factsheet - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
    You may be able to do some work if you have a disability, illness or health condition and still have the security of keeping any of the following benefits payments and National Insurance credits:
    • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • Incapacity Benefit
    • Severe Disablement Allowance
    The references to IB and SDA are irrelevant as these benefits are no longer available (not sure if there are still some outstanding claimants getting them).

What may be confusing the WC and CA is that there is a rule that says that if you earn more than 16 x NMW/week you cannot be referred for a Work Capability Assessment. This is not the same as saying that after you have had an assessment and been found to have LCWRA there are restrictions on what you can do, They ought to know this.
    joannek said:.. i just take into account my work allowance of £515 ( on our joint claim)..
    I think you mean this but for the avoidance of doubt the Work Allowance applies to your joint claim, you do not have an individual Work Allowance. If your husband already earns over £515/month the Work Allowance has been used up and there will be a UC deduction of 63% of everything you earn.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.