I have diabetes, acute pain, and osteoarthritis. I don't think I can continue working full time — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I have diabetes, acute pain, and osteoarthritis. I don't think I can continue working full time

Options
Sheralee64
Sheralee64 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2021 in Work and employment
I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes.  I am also suffering from acute pain following an ankle operation that failed and was left for 15 months due to the pandemic before it could be fixed.  Together with that, I have osteoarthritis that is getting worse. 

I am currently a teacher of computing but am finding this incredibly difficult and will need to consider my options soon as I am not sure I can continue to work full time and control my illnesses.
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I am diabetic too as well as a amputee and visually impaired 

Speak to your employer about reasonable adjustments or reducing hours or your options for leaving on medical grounds 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sheralee64 - welcome to the community. I'm sorry about all the problems you're facing, & also finding work difficult. I hope you're helped by the advice above. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Sheralee64 :) Thanks for joining, and for telling us a bit about yourself. 

I'm sorry to hear about the pain you're experiencing at the moment. Is that something you're receiving support from medical professionals for? 

As Janer1967 has said, it'd be worth speaking to your employer about reasonable adjustments at work (Scope) if you haven't already.

Could going part time at work be more manageable for you, or are you considering stopping working completely?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.