Back problems — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Back problems

Options
pixel
pixel Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi ,I have had back problems for over forty years. In 2020 I was told that if I didn’t have surgery my spine would just get worse and walking would become a problem, so in November of that year I had two discs replaced. My surgeon said all went well and no nerves were damaged. He lied. 3 surgeries later, in one year, nerve damage to my right leg ,foot , I am still in agony.
Rehab the first time was hard but there was hope , the fourth time , it’s tiring and depressing.My muscles are tired, so am I.I have an amazing physio , new surgeon but the chronic pain is coming from atrophied muscles in my back, not from the Eiffel Tower I now have imbedded into me! Pain killers I’ve probably been on them all . I stopped them all because I was permanently out to lunch ! My surgeon reviewed the tablets last week and I am now taking about 11 a day , all names you have mentioned.
They say exercise gets you through but it’s very hard when you’re in pain 24/7.
I would love to know of any nerve pain tablets other than Gabapentina, I’ve been on a high dose for a year and a half, they do nothing !

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @pixel good evening and welcome to scope, whilst non of us on here are doctors we don't give direct medical advice, have you asked to be referred to the pain clinic at your local hospital? I know a number of people who have benefitted from doing so.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• pixel
    Options
    Thanks, yes I Thankyou, yes I am in touch with my local pain clinic. Unfortunately they just up the meds , which change me completely, I’m like a zombie and still I have pain .,
  • pixel
    Options
    Hi,
    Its now 11 months since my last back surgery. Progress has been slow. I have been swimming a lot and trying to start proper rehab,again and get the old “me” ,back. Physio once a week, medication ,not so much . Obviously the nerve damage to my foot remains the same. Now suddenly I have “chronic “ muscle pain.Back to morphine and everything else. It’s so bad I’m thinking of going to hospital tomorrow to be admitted for even stronger pain medication, although I’m probably better off struggling at home .The only difference is that I’d be on a drip for a while. I am seeing my surgeon on Monday , once again it will be upping the meds and exercise. No normal life for me then, back to zombie mode but too much induced sleep just gives me even more muscle pain. Any one in a similar state . I do have help in my house, I’m lucky she comes twice a week. My husband who had a severe stroke has been amazing, through this whole ‘ 2 year nightmare , he now has his own issues coping with rapidly progressing dementia. The future at this moment does not look too bright, I need to find a solution for the pain To continue a “normal “ life.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for the update @pixel, however I am sorry to hear that things aren't too great at the minute. You certainly seem to have supportive people around you which is nice, and hopefully the appointment on Monday goes well.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.