Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
How to improve accessible toilet facilities
I currently work within the facilities department for a leading children's hospital. I have begun looking into our accessible toilet facilities to understand what we are doing right/wrong and more importantly what we could do to improve!
The last week of researching experiences in these facilities has been a real eye opener! The range of emotions/obstacles/challenges faced or created by either using accessible toilets or even simply preparing to use them has really made me realise the need for improvements.
So far I have found some of the main obstacles to be:
-Waste/sanitary bins beside toilet, blocking transfer space from wheelchair
-Position/Length/Availability of Red Chords
-Stability of support rails
-Space to manoeuvre alone or with carer present
I know these make up only a fraction of the challenges and obstacles faced and so would be really keen to understand more.
I would really appreciate hearing your experiences, good or bad! Whether they are about the above points or anything else at all . I also understand that these topics are extremely sensitive and can be very difficult to recall and discuss, as much as I would love to hear from you I also do not wish to cause any upset!
Thank you for taking the time to read this and I look forward to hearing from you!
- All Categories
- 12.9K Start here and say hello!
- 6.6K Coffee lounge
- 45 Games room
- 429 Cost of living
- 4.4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 208 Community updates
- 9.2K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.5K Work and employment
- 785 Education
- 1.6K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 612 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 370 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 758 Transport and travel
- 30.4K Talk about money
- 4.3K Benefits and financial support
- 5.1K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 16.4K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 4.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 858 Chronic pain and pain management
- 160 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.2K Mental health and wellbeing
- 322 Sensory impairments
- 819 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions