I've just got DLA for my son. We're on UC. Should I claim carers allowance or UC carers element? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've just got DLA for my son. We're on UC. Should I claim carers allowance or UC carers element?

Options
heidijlyford
heidijlyford Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi all new here,  
I have just got dla for my son , middle care, low mobility , 
We are on universal credit and my husband works , what am better off claiming , carers allowance or universal credit carers element,  and will i get a disabled element for my son ? Or is there something else I should be doing ?

Thanks heidi
Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You should tell UC straightaway so that the carers element is added to your UC.
    You should also get the lower rate disabled child element added to the UC claim.

You can claim Carer's Allowance if you wish but if you do it will be deducted from your UC so you will not be better off financially (assuming that you UC with the carer element is more than £293/month).
    You will get Class 1 NI credits if you claim CA.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.