Need advice and reassurances — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need advice and reassurances

Options
glitter2021
glitter2021 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello I’m a mother of three, two of which have additional needs which I get DLA for.  So here goes I had abusive childhood, I self harm and have been taking antidepressants for a year. I’m waiting for one to one counciling.  I’m unsure if I’m entitled to claim pip and I’m absolutely petrified of if I claim for pip social services would get involved.  No body knows about my harming I pass it off has a skin condition.  Any advice please 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,826 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi @glitter2021 welcome to the forum  im sorry to read about your difficult childhood, I'm pleased that you are waiting for councilling. Hopefully you don't have to wait too long.  Have you considered talking to your dr about the self harming or phoning someone to talk to like 
    https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/self-harm/useful-contacts/
    If you feel your entitled to claim pip for yourself  I don't see any reason why social services would need to know try doing a benefits checker on line. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I see no reason why social services would be involved if you were to claim PIP
    some advice on claiming in the link below:

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Claiming-Personal-Independence-Payment/Fill-in-PIP-form
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• glitter2021
    glitter2021 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you both for replying to me.  I’m worried if I explain on my pip forms that I self harm because of my abusive childhood and waiting for counciling to try and comes to terms with what’s happened to me, that they think I’m not coping with my children.  Which couldn’t be further from the truth they the reason I finally at the point of my life where I want to stop the harming and chat through things so I’m able to make happy memories instead of living in my own triggers. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,985 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

I completely agree with others here. Claiming PIP will have nothing at all to do with social services. Just because you have a health condition, it doesn't mean you can't look after your children. We have members on here that are parents and claim PIP and i've claimed it since 2013 and my children were younger then.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.