Hi, my name is LadyMich63! I'm looking into help to move to a bungalow or cottage — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is LadyMich63! I'm looking into help to move to a bungalow or cottage

Options
LadyMich63
LadyMich63 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
I’m looking into help to move to a bungalow or cottage as I’m disabled and use both a stick and wheelchair and live in very unsafe area of Bradford so want to move as I also suffer PTSD after being housebound for three years and trapped with a cousin at his place during the lockdown who was dirty abusive and took advantage of my condition so once I realised he had no intention of returning me knowing I was so ill and the goodwill trip for few days to a place for disabled was a lie but I got an assisted train travel after much abuse he took me there no MOT and I’m now on anti depressants and sleeping tablets . A friend let me down badly with a daughter who dumped my 15 years plus good relationship by text for upsetting her mum worrying about me !!! Attacked my faith even though I keep my faith private then my mother hurt me damaged things personal to me because of attention seeking and jealousy so I’ve had it and want to move away from Bradford and my spinal surgeon hairdresser dentist are Leeds so is there a way as I own a 4 storey inner terrace that I can get help to relocate to a bungalow in a safe area with a garden as my yard is looked over on 3 sides and there are no English speaking people except my good height on the end so I’m isolated and dependent upon help to get out but if I could get a bungalow I could use a scooter to get freedom fresh air and with an enclosed garden as I’ve been a prisoner for 36 years too long . Had accident at work so permanently crushed nerve on fentanyl patches titanium spinal fusion s5/4 to s1 50/50 survival and because of Covid didn’t get the physio in a safe place as they run you over and have no respect for disabled people . I desperately need to get help to get to a new safe home out of Bradford so is there any chance of to exchange my house to a bungalow in North Yorkshire to an English speaking area with similar people with disabilities as my depression is down to having no one from my social background where I can visit people and start afresh . Auctions I’ve no chance because it’s people with loads of money to buy rundown properties to do up and put on the market at prices I can’t afford and plain begging them to let me have a chance to buy one as even the ones where people can’t afford the mortgage and the bank sells them on cheap goes to auction so I need help . My key other need is to be part of a church community as I’m Christian. I’ve had terrible neighbours the other side as it’s rented out to all and sundry so I need a peaceful safe place to move to using my house as major collateral.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Hi @LadyMich63

Welcome to the community, good to see you join us. 

I am sorry to hear about what you have been going through, but thank you for telling us, it must be really hard to speak about. 

You mentioned in your post that you lived with your cousin who who was abusive, I'm sorry to hear this. Are you safe from that now? Was the abuse ever reported to the authorities?

With you saying you're on medication, I assume that you have had contact with your GP - have you discussed with them other avenues of support? Were they able to signpost you for relevant support? I do wonder if having a social care needs assessment, which you can refer yourself for, would help you with your hunt for suitable accommodation and support for daily tasks.

Do you have any support in place to manage your mental health? you referred there to having PTSD so I hope that you have coping techniques in place to manage it, if you do feel as though you need further support with your mental health you should speak with your GP. You can see some information from the NHS here about how you can access mental health support.

I have sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk, it would be great if you could give it a read and get back to us.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @LadyMich63 - & welcome to the community. You have gone through such a lot, which must have been so difficult. Has your local church been able to offer any support? I also wonder if talking to the Salvation Army (perhaps in the area you're hoping to move to) may be helpful. You could also try finding an estate agent online both where you live & hope to move to. The latter could keep an eye out for suitable properties for you. Kindly let us know how you get on.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.