House ownership, UC and Housing Benefit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

House ownership, UC and Housing Benefit

Options
Pinkity
Pinkity Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited August 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi
I'm currently receiving UC+LCWRA and PIP. I'm living in a house which I own with a mortgage, but due to a disability, I'm hoping to move into a Housing Association flat at some point. However, I can't put my house on the market until I've moved out as, because of my autism, I can't have people coming in and viewing it whilst I still live here. In that situation, I will have to find mortgage payments and council tax for the house until it sells, as well as rent, council tax, utilities and other such payments for the flat. My question is - would I be able to claim the Housing Benefit element of UC to cover the flat's rent until I sell the house (which would be empty and on the market)? There is some capital in the house which would be realised as profit after a sale (a little over the £16,000 limit) so I would have to end my UC claim at that point, but I was wondering if I would be eligible for HB to help out until that point. Also, after the sale of the house, would I also have to end my PIP claim as well as my UC claim? Thank you.
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Your PIP won't be affected, i'm surprised however that whilst owning a house you would get a HA flat ?? 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,343 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you're moving out of the house because of health reasons then there could potentially be a disregard for 6 months. You'll need to show that the house is up for sale but there's no guarantee of the disregard and i think only a decision maker at DWP can tell you the answer.

If it's not possible to have it disregarded, are you able to go out while the viewings take place?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Pinkity
    Pinkity Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Options
    @woodbine I'm eligible because of my disabilities and as long as I put my house up for sale as soon as I reasonably can.

@poppy123456 I'm not sure what you mean by a disregard. Please could you explain further? What would be disregarded? Thank you. Also, I can't go out during viewings as I can't cope with the idea of strangers being in my safe space even if I'm not there.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Disregarded means it it won't be classed as capital for up to 6 months (potentially longer is needed) providing you can prove that it's up for sale but only a decision maker can decide how long.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • realestate
    realestate Community member Posts: 10 Listener
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I don't know much about this but I can say your PIP won't be affected. <moderator removed - advertising not permitted on community>
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I don't know much about this but I can say your PIP won't be affected. <moderator removed - advertising not permitted on community>

I'm unsure why you think that link will help the OP sell their property ...
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @realestate

As advised by @Tori_Scope yesterday, the posting of advertising links is not allowed on the community.  Please see the Community house rules for more information about content that is/isn't permitted.  In line with this, your post above has been edited to remove the included link.  Please bear this in mind when constructing future posts.

@poppy123456 Just to let you know, I've edited out the link from your quote too to avoid confusion.  

@Pinkity Do you better understand what disregarded means?  Please let us know if you remain unsure of anything so we can help.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.