Can you advise me what benefits my 18 year old son would be entitled to? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can you advise me what benefits my 18 year old son would be entitled to?

Options
Rainie123
Rainie123 Community member Posts: 9 Connected
Hi ,my son who on the autistic spectrum as just finished college he is 18yrs old ...can you please advise me on what benefits he is entitled to...he receives pip I am on universal credits..I am his oppointee..so he doesn't have a bank account or email address so when applying for uc they say he has to have a bank account and email addfess...I'm getting extremely anxious as he has a dentist appointment and they say he's not covered ...surely he is entitled to something?it seems that now he has finished full time education where they was getting funded for him ..there doesn't seem to be much help out there...look forward to hearing a reply thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there and welcome 

If would be uc he claims for 
    Can he not use your email as for bank account not sure but there must be a solution  as your not the only person in this situation 

Other members will be able to help 

If not contact welfare rights whi will be able to help 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,250 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

The only benefit he can claim will be Universal Credit. If he is unable to work because of his health condition then when he claims he will need to report the health condition and provide a fit note from his GP within 7 days and report that fit note onto his journal.

He will be entitled to £344 per month but this is reducing to £257.33 per month from October because at the moment it's been increased due to Covid. This could increase by £343 per month once he's had the work capability assesment if he's placed into the LCWRA group. This is payable from the 4th month after a health condition is reported.

Yes you do need an email address when applying but to get this for him is extremely easy and there's plenty of choices, from outlook to gmail and many more.

Ideally he should have his own bank account for his money to go into because what if the worst happens and something happened to you? He wouldn't have access to his own money, not a nice situation to be in. For now, you can use your bank account details.

Although you're his appointee for PIP, this wouldn't apply to UC. Once he claims you can put a message onto his journal to explain that you would like to become his appointee and someone will contact you.

If you're still claiming either either tax credits or the child element of UC for him then this will continue until 31st August, so don't start a claim for UC until after this date. Once you claim UC for him then those benefits will end.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rainie123
    Options
    Thank you both so much ..I will get him an email address ..I am in the process of setting up a bank account ..I just need a letter with his name and address on it to confirm he lives here...due to the covid situation we can only do it on line ...I  will pop into bank tomorrow...
    Thank you poppy123456 ..you have gave me some great information ..and pointed me into the right direction..x

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,250 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem. I claimed UC for my daughter in January and i'm also her appointee. I found it a very straight forward process.

Usually on day 29 (although sometimes it can be later) a referral will be made for the work capability assessment. Once it's made a letter will be uploaded onto the journal. You will then receive a work capability assessment form in the post, which will need to be filled in and returned with all your son's information about his health condition.

Try not to delay getting that fit note because the longer you delay, the longer the waiting process will be. I'll be happy to advise further if you need it. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rainie123
    Options
    Hi poppy ,he now has his own phone and email address went to the bank the lady there just gave me a number to phone  as they don't have enough staff there atm...will do that tomorrow...my son will be starting a healthworks programme in September..careers officer is setting it up for him ...not sure if you have heard of these programme?
    Thanks again 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.