Hi, my name is Anis! I need help asking for as reasonable adjustment in a job interview — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Anis! I need help asking for as reasonable adjustment in a job interview

Options
Anis
Anis Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited August 2021 in Work and employment
I need help with asking for reasonable adjustment in a civil service interview, please.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

If you can give us more details we can try and help 

What adjustments do you need 

You should find the civil service will be happy to discuss your requirements 
  • Anis
    Options
    I have multiple medical conditions, the main being a nerve condition that restricts my concentration and listening clearly- I am afraid if I tell them this they might consider me incapable of performing? 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Anis - & welcome to the community. Scope has some information that you may find helpful. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/talking-about-disability-in-job-interview/      &
    Best wishes for your interview.  :)
  • Anis
    Options
    Thanks, Chiarieds. I read this before, but I am not too sure how the employer will take it? 
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Perhaps see how your interview progresses, & if you feel comfortable you could then disclose your problems; play it by ear so to speak.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It may be the case your condition is not suitable for the job but being honest is the best way forward if not it could cause issues later down the line 

They can make a judgement if you would be suitable for the job 

You wouldn't want to be in a job you are unable to do 

There maybe reasonable adjustments that can be put in place 
    My personal view as a hr manager for years is to be open and discuss at earliest stage so support can be offered.  
    Yes it may affect your chances of getting the job but no use getting the job and then not being able to do it 

They will have to be the judge of that 

• Anis
    Options
    Thanks, Janer1967
  • Dee78
    Dee78 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Anis, 
    It's a good question you ask, I have had similar thoughts regarding job interviews: Ie asking for reasonable adjustments, and that meaning having to disclose disability. In the end, I have thought if lack of adjustments means I may perform badly in interview, I should ask for them. Might as well be given the best chance, and then you can focus on the interview in hand and showing off your skills! :)
    Do you know the nature of the job interview, and what tasks you may be asked to do, and what the timings are? if not can you ask them this? I  asked for gaps between my different tasks so I could rest. 
    Also, locations can make a difference. I was asked to do a computer task, but I was put in a noisy open plan office, I wished I had told them I needed somewhere quiet, or brought ear plugs along, as I have problems with concentration! 
    My other challenge is remembering the question they ask, so I either write it down (makes me look verystudious!) or even in one interview they thought it was a good idea in future if the interviewers wrote down their questions. Could that help?
    Just some thoughts..I hope they might be relevant. Good luck!
  • Dee78
    Dee78 Community member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Options
    Ps. Potential employers can't by law discriminate at interview, and places like the Civil Service I am sure want to be seen as progressive and flexible employers. In fact their website says: As a ‘Disability Confident’ employer, the Civil Service Fast Stream does everything possible to encourage and support candidates with disabilities.' 

• shellbell20
    shellbell20 Community member Posts: 260 Pioneering
    Options
    I have applied for a Civil Service role recently, not yet found out if I have an interview, but I am worried that if I do get one I will fumble it as I fumble most interviews with terrible anxiety. My mind goes blank and I talk absolute rubbish. Then after the interview especially if it's on video which I have an immense fear of, I find myself crying. It's crippling for me.

I hear that the Civil Service are Disability Confident employers and should be leading by example. Apparently, if you get the minimum scores required to get an interview, however, I have also heard for an interview they sometimes change the bar dependent on the number of applicants. 

I think if you do ask for adjustments they should be happy to do that for you, if they didn't then they might be liable for disability discrimination. I understand partly your concerns, my anxiety makes my mind go blank and I find myself having to ask them to repeat questions and give me time to answer and most companies I have had interviews with have been OK with this, although I have still fumbled up the interviews with my nerves.
  • Anis
    Options
    Hi Janer67, Chiarieds, Dee78 and Shellbell 20
    Thank you very much for the valuable insights. They did make reasonable adjustments (in terms of time, they gave me a bit of extra time). I haven't got my results yet, but the support and help I got here are amazing. It made me feel that there are still so many lovely people to make life precious. Thank you very much once again. 
    I wish you all the very best! 
    Kindest regards, 
    Anis
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @Anis - thank you for the update. I'm pleased you were given some extra time with your interview. I do hope you get a positive outcome; kindly let us know. :)
  • shellbell20
    Options
    Anis said:
    Hi Janer67, Chiarieds, Dee78 and Shellbell 20
    Thank you very much for the valuable insights. They did make reasonable adjustments (in terms of time, they gave me a bit of extra time). I haven't got my results yet, but the support and help I got here are amazing. It made me feel that there are still so many lovely people to make life precious. Thank you very much once again. 
    I wish you all the very best! 
    Kindest regards, 
    Anis
    Glad you got extra time. You have done very well to complete the interview as interviews aren't easy at the best of times. Let us know how well your new job is going as you've got this and why wouldn't they want to offer you the job?!?!!!
  • Anis
    Options
    Shellbell20,
    The results for the interview isn't out yet. So fingers crossed.
  • Anis
    Options
    Keeping my fingers crossed @chiarieds
  • shellbell20
    Options
    Anis said:
    Shellbell20,
    The results for the interview isn't out yet. So fingers crossed.
    I know but you've got this! x
  • Anis
    Options
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Best of luck @anis :) Well done for getting through it!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.