Rehousing help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Rehousing help

Options
forstgump
forstgump Community member Posts: 67 Listener
Iv just had to fill in homeless application . Dose anyone no we’re I could get help housed I have eupd , ptsd , gad must be someone out there who can help a person with a disability ☮️

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,808 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

May i ask where you're living at the moment? Have you rang shelter to see if they can give you any advice? Contact details are here. https://www.shelter.org.uk/

There's also privately renting but if you rely on benefits to help pay the rent then it's extremely difficult to find landlords that will accept us but you can try doing and internet search to see what available in your area.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • forstgump
    Options
    I’m staying at a mates for a month I need my own place . I just need to no of any charity’s have funding For people with disability or council/ social services?? Thanks
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm not aware of any funding for homeless people to find somewhere to live. Social housing isn't going to be easy either, espeically if you're single with no dependant children.

If you find a private landlord that will accept you there could potentially be help with any rent that needs to be paid in advance called a discretionary housing payment (DHP) see link.  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments/claiming-discretionary-housing-payments

Once you find somewhere you will be able to get help with any rent through Universal Credit.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • forstgump
    Options
    I’m hoping social services will help as the can’t not help as I have a disability thy can’t leave me like this because I can’t manage my medication and that could put people and myself at risk if I have a funny turn ! Thanks 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I would say it's unlikely that social services will help you. Try contacting shelter to see what advice they have. Have you also looked on the internet to search what's available in your area.
  • forstgump
    Options
    I think by law social services have to help vulnerable people and I’m sure this situation would class me as one ? Positive thinking leads to positive outcome I hope ? peace ☮️ 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    forstgump said:
    I think by law social services have to help vulnerable people and I’m sure this situation would class me as one ? Positive thinking leads to positive outcome I hope ? peace ☮️ 
    That’s not exactly how it works. 
  • forstgump
    Options
    How dose it work ?? Any info much appreciated peace ☮️ 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,749 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Fraid that social services don't have to help, in fact they won't help. It's very difficult for a single man on their own to get any help with finding somewhere to live, sorry I don't like being negative. Last I heard shelter weren't taking on any new cases.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    Options
    I'm afraid i have to agree with Mark and Woodbine here. You'll likely find out that there's not much they can do to help you here. It's difficult for people with families to find properties, even when they're about to become homeless.

Have you done what i advised and had a look on the internet for privately rentals in your area? It's not going to be easy but worth a look.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Do councils not have to help provide emergancy accommodation for someone with health problems facing homelessness?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Have you contacted the homeless team at tour local council 

There is lack of social housing and people including disabled and those with children are waiting years for suitable housing 

Just look at other threads here 

Are you on the council list 

Local councils will also look at reason for you becoming homeless as to where you come as priority if it was down to yourself they are less likely to help eg evicted for non payment of rent 

But they look more favourably if if was not down to any fault on your part 
  • forstgump
    Options
    Iv just completed that with the council last week thy rang me today , I have a phone call meeting with them tomorrow, I’m just trying to keep all options open for the best support many thanks everyone peace ☮️ 
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    I would concentrate on working with the homelessness team at the council and engaging with them to see whether they can help. 

Have you contacted any housing associations or charities that offer accommodation direct? I was in a situation many years ago where I got a flat offered with a HA very very quickly, but remember that will depend on the area you live and what they have available at the time, I might of just been lucky. 

As suggested by others consider private renting and also do speak with Shelter they are fantastic, again from experience they helped me lots. 
  • forstgump
    Options
    Many thanks for that I’m asking to move out the area just to try get something quick ☮️ 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @forstgump and a warm welcome to the community from me, how are you today?

I'm sorry to hear about your housing situation, it's good that you're able to stay with your friend until sorted and I hope tomorrow's phone call goes well with the homelessness team.  Don't forget the other support organisations mentioned on this thread, including Shelter.

Earlier you mentioned:
    @forstgump I’m hoping social services will help as the can’t not help as I have a disability thy can’t leave me like this because I can’t manage my medication and that could put people and myself at risk if I have a funny turn ! Thanks 
    And, I wondered if you currently had support from a mental health team or GP with managing your medication, or if you felt that additional support was needed to reduce risk?  How is your EUPD, PTSD and GAD at the moment?

I hope all is ok but please do keep us posted with how you get on.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • forstgump
    Options
    You guys have been grate really lifted my mood thanks for the encouragement It’s helpful knowing people care ?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.