Can I attend a training course whilst claiming ESA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I attend a training course whilst claiming ESA?

Options
knucklehead
knucklehead Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Hi, I am receiving income related ESA support group and PIP and I was just wondering if I attended a training course if it would affect my ESA entitlement.   A Training course opportunity paid for by the government for unemployed people has come up and I would be interested in applying for it as I think it would give me something to focus on even though it would be a struggle for me and take me out of my comfort zone. It would be 7 hours a day mon-fri for 6 weeks and there is no pay involved just experience gained. I’ve mentioned in a previous post I’m due to be reassessed for ESA  in October and I am not sure if applying for this course would go against me if it comes down to an appeal situation. I have never seen this course advertised before, it’s now or never and it would be right up my street but would it be ok go ahead and apply for it or miss out ?
Thank you 

Comments

• Belintte
    Belintte Community member Posts: 1 Connected
    Options
    MMMMM a bit of a dodgy one this it really depends if your in the support or work group. O.K if in the work group but might have probs if in the support group.
  • knucklehead
    Options
    Yeah I’m in the support group.
    ok thanks for response 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Providing doing the training course doesn't contradict the reasons you're in the Support Group then i see no reason why this wouldn't be possible.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • knucklehead
    Options
    Ok thank you, I’ll give them a call next week to check. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you been able to give them a call @knucklehead?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • knucklehead
    Options
    No I didn’t call them yet as i thought it’s more likely to be allowed in the work related activity group than the support group as Belintte suggested. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,345 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No I didn’t call them yet as i thought it’s more likely to be allowed in the work related activity group than the support group as Belintte suggested. 
    I disagree. Permitted work is allowed in either group, therefore I see no reason at all when a training course wouldn’t be allowed. Providing it doesn’t contradict the reasons you’re in the Support Group.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    It is not directly what you are asking about, but the first thing which strikes me is this course is indirectly discriminatory.  Which is unlawful.  And if the government is  sponsoring this, then the government itself is breaking the law.
    Does their impact assessment include the likelihood that some disabled people can manage reduced hours for either study or work, but not an intensive block of full time attendance, such as you describle. (It may not apply to you, but will to others).  This may be a new course, but an obvious work-round might be something like offering flexible hours, with the option for people to attend two courses, covering half the ground with each  intake of student groups.  (You don't detail the area of study, but possibly another "reasonable adjustment" might be offering at least part of the course by watching on live video link)

P.S It happens I know someone in roughly that area of government provision, so it would be particularly interesting to know the answer to this.
  • knucklehead
    Options
    Hi, the description of the course doesn’t mention disabled people at all it just says for unemployed people so I may not have even been eligible for it I didn’t persue it in the end. I can’t see it being discriminatory as it was openly advertised in a public media app. There is no mention of flexible hours either it’s just like I said 7 hours a day for 6 weeks it’s possibly aimed at people on Universal Credit I’m not sure.  Either way I’ve missed the deadline now 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.