Best flooring for manual wheelchair (and dog) — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Best flooring for manual wheelchair (and dog)

Options
Rfmarcus1976
Rfmarcus1976 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi

We are starting building work to give greater accessabilty to my 9 year old daughter with a manual wheelchair on our ground floor. Does anyone have advice regarding the type of flooring or any lessons to share.

Thanks

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I'm in a wheelchair too and I have laminate all through 

I've tried carpet too hard to self propel and wheel tracks leave marks especially if coming from outside 

Vinyl not robust enough 

Tiles will curl up over time and be hazard 

With laminate it's smooth easy surface and can be easily cleaned I brush mine then mop 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whilst I don't use a wheelchair, I would recommend laminate, very hard wearing and easy to keep clean.
    @Rfmarcus1976 welcome to scope
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Welcome @Rfmarcus1976 How are you and your daughter doing today?  I hope all is good with you and your pooch too!

It's a big ditto to the above from me.  I have laminate in my kitchen and especially with having cats its a godsend for cleaning spillages and other debris from their antics.

Also, fab news about the building work being to make the ground floor more accessible :) I imagine that will make a big difference to your daughter's everyday life - please keep us posted with how you get on.  

Take care and speak again soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • JessicaZoe12
    JessicaZoe12 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options

Best flooring for manual wheelchair (and dog)

The more durable and cost-effective option for wheelchair use is hardwood flooring. It is a common misconception that carpet is more effective for wheelchair use, but it actually poses a number of problems. It can be hard to clean, slip and slide around, and trap dirt, dust, and allergens in the fibers. Hardwood flooring is more durable, less likely to harbor allergens, and requires little maintenance.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that @JessicaZoe12 :) Do you have experience of using a wheelchair inside your house? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Siwheels73
    Siwheels73 Scope Member Posts: 746 Pioneering
    Options
    My wife and I are both wheelchair users, @Rfmarcus1976. We moved into a ground floor flat 3 years ago which has ceramic kitchen-type tiles throughout. It is great to push on, and easy to clean. The downside is that it is a mug-killer, if you drop one! 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.