Change of circumstances for PIP - my experience — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change of circumstances for PIP - my experience

Options
Poppy2021
Poppy2021 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
edited November 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA

This is my first post but I have been exploring this site for a few weeks now. I apologise for the long post but I thought I’d post about my experience as I know they’re are a lot of anxious people waiting for a decision on their PIP claim. I live in Merseyside. 

I was  diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in my early 30s and 15 years ago with osteoarthritis, resulting in a hip replacement my 40s. By the time of my RA diagnosis I had been unwell for a number of years and by then the joints in my hands and feet were already badly damaged. 

I claimed PIP in 2018 and was awarded 11 points for daily living (standard rate) and 4 points for mobility (no award). I was disappointed but accepted the decision. But since lockdown my mobility has reduced and I am no longer able to get in and out of the bath so I decided to tell DWP about my change in circumstances. 

I phoned early March 2021 and was sent a form which I completed and returned early April. I was told it would take about 18 weeks for a decision. I had heard nothing by the end of July so I rang DWP who told me the forms had been sent to the Independent Assessment Services early April and the delay was with them. I rang the IAS and they arranged for a telephone assessment the next day, end of July.  The HCP rang as arranged and was very helpful, I had made notes with examples for each of the activities I struggle with/can’t do and she prompted me in some places.  I explained that although my RA is controlled by a number of drugs, and I rarely have a flare-up, the damage to my joints was caused many years ago and cannot be reversed.

The day after my telephone assessment I received a text message from DWP to say they had received the report. Last week I received a letter to say they had all the information they needed to make a decision. 

Today I received my award letter. I was awarded 12 points for daily living, so the enhanced rate, the extra point being for needing help to get in and out of the bath, and 10 points for mobility so the standard rate.  But more importantly it is an ongoing award, so I feel DWP have taken into account the fact that my joints will not repair or recover and I will always need the help.  The money, backdated to March, went into my bank account today.

Since having my telephone assessment I discovered this website and I have read the excellent advice dispensed, especially by [removed by moderator]. After reading the advice on here I was worried that perhaps in my form and assessment I hadn’t given enough information about how I struggled with the daily activities and mobility, but obviously I did. I know in some posts people have been unhappy with Mike [removed by moderator]’ advice, but ignore his advice at your peril; Mike knows what he’s talking about and has years of experience. I had bookmarked some of his excellent advice should I have needed it, both for the award and the length of the award, but luckily I don’t need it.

Remember it’s not the diagnosis that counts but how it affects your daily activities. Also DWP are staffed by poorly paid people trying to do their best in difficult circumstances in the midst of a global pandemic. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

Thanks for your first post 

Great news on your increased award 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Poppy2021 and a warm welcome to Scope's online community from me, how are you today?

It's great that you made a post to tell us about your experience and fab to hear about you getting an increased ongoing award.  That must have been very welcome news.  And, what a testament to the excellent advice Mike offers too :)

Thank you for sharing your story and it would be lovely to see more of you about on the community, if you ever fancy a natter.

Take care and best wishes.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,618 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    hi @Poppy2021 and a warm welcome from me also to scope, great to hear that you got an improved award, have to agree that without a shadow of doubt Mike gives the best advice on here.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• rozzi
    rozzi Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Options
    How do I find mikes advice?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Poppy2021 - & welcome to the community. Thank you for sharing about your PIP award following reporting a change of circumstances, which I'm sure others will find both helpful, & positive, &congratulations. :)  Yes, Mike gives great advice, I also agree.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello hello all of you, Mike and woodbine ,poppy and others give excellent advice it worth copy and pasting sometimes for future use.
  • JamesRoyle
    JamesRoyle Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hello, how do i receive from [removed by moderator] when i click on above link it says profile private. Thank you. Jimmy.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hello, how do i receive from [removed by moderator] when i click on above link it says profile private. Thank you. Jimmy.

You can use the search feature above to see the threads, although i admit it's not easy to search anything here. Unfortunately, you can't check someones profile if they choose not to share it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • kirsttewkes
    kirsttewkes Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi could I ask did you get any pay back dated for your change of circumstances I’m reading all sorts of contradictory info. Thanks K
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,003 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi could I ask did you get any pay back dated for your change of circumstances I’m reading all sorts of contradictory info. Thanks K
    If you reported a change of circumstances and you’re awarded a higher award, provided you had the worsening of conditions at least 3 months before you reported the change then it’s backdated. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Poppy2021
    Poppy2021 Community member Posts: 2 Connected
    Options
    The higher award was backdated to the date of my ‘phone call to notify the change of circumstances, as Poppy123456 suggests this was because my condition and ability to carry out activities had deteriorated more than 3 months before I rang DWP.
    By way of an update, I asked for a copy of the assessment report and the nurse who carried out the assessment suggested the award be reviewed in 2 years, to allow for any changes. However it is an ongoing award, so I am assuming DWP decision maker overruled that suggestion .
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Poppy2021 said:.. the nurse who carried out the assessment suggested the award be reviewed in 2 years, to allow for any changes. However it is an ongoing award, so I am assuming DWP decision maker overruled that suggestion .
    It appears so.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.