Hello. I'm seeking remote work due to a mobility impairment. Has anyone changed careers+how was it? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello. I'm seeking remote work due to a mobility impairment. Has anyone changed careers+how was it?

Options
donita
donita Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2021 in Work and employment
Hello everybody.
 I  am recently  having  mobility disability. I always worked as chef but I am able to do it any longer. I am really trying to look for any kind of remote jobs but really struggling  with it probably I am skilled enough   :(.I
did anybody  find him/herself in  the situation to change job and how  he/she faced it?
Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

You may want to look in our employment section there is a support programme for people wanting to find work 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @donita - & welcome to the community. The programme Jane mentions can be found here: https://www.scope.org.uk/employment-services/support-to-work/   which those members who have used it have found very helpful. :)

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @donita and a warm welcome from me, how are you today?

I understand how you could be feeling apprehensive when faced with a career change, but you might be surprised at how many transferrable skills you have from being a Chef.  I'm guessing you can work to a tight deadline and under pressure, you are good at team work and have good verbal communication skills, you are creative, passionate and willing to learn?  So don't be too hard on yourself because you will have a wealth of experience to tap into and impress future potential employers :)

The Support to Work service signposted to by our members is a great opportunity to get free one to one support to help get back into paid work, so please do give that a little look and consider applying.

While, many more roles are now available working from home, flexibly so now is a good time to be looking.  Have you been searching online?  What kind of role do you think you'd enjoy most?

Just to let you know, I've moved your post to our 'Employment and careers' category and amended the thread title to help others spot your question more easily.

Take care and good luck!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • donita
    donita Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    thanks everybody

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.