One less worry... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

One less worry...

Cress
Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
So about 8 weeks ago I had to have a chest xray...can only think it was something to do with one of the results of my blood tests as I hadn't reported any chest problems.

Anyway, scary bit, I get a call 2 days later saying they found something which may be nothing, but I was to have another xray 6 weeks after the first.

Finally got the results today, ' Normal, no action '
Which was a relief obviously 

But, you would think this would be enough of a scare to make me give up smoking....I smoked more ...in fact I'm thinking of buying loose tobacco and rolling my own as I can't afford this habit...
I know there is no way I can give up at the moment.
Sometimes there really is no helping some people.
I can be my own worst enemy...

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Relieved that the results are fine @Cress :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Cress
    Thanks @Ami2301 :)
    Me too ...but I don't deserve them to be...lol
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Good news.

if you are going to smoke loose tobacco I’d suggest using a filter in the rolly, they help reduce tar intake etc. 

I smoked rollys for years and finally through stoptober i quit! Much to my own amazement the patches and lozenges really worked and I have not smoked for about six years now, it’s so long I forget exactly! I’d recommend seeing the chemist, they gave me the patches and lozenges freely. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cress
    Thanks @leeCal :)
    Whenever I've given up, last time I managed 3 years but it's usually because I'm so sick of them and that gets me through...

Never lasts though...
    Maybe one day...
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    We both swapped to roll ups (with filters) about 17 years ago as they are cheaper, SM gave them up around 4 months ago and I stopped 5 weeks ago but we both use vapes now, I'd smoked for over 50 years.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Hi @Cress

Ahh that's a relief and half.  It's hard to kick certain habits isn't it, despite us knowing they aren't the best.  And although I fully hear you don't intend on quitting smoking right now, I'm going to leave a link to the NHS stop smoking webpage just incase you ever change your mind.  

By the way, don't be too hard on yourself.  We each do our best everyday and I've no doubt you are too! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad it was nothing to worry about.

I'm another one that used to roll my own with the added filter tip and did this for probably 15+ years, when the cigarettes got way too expensive for my pocket. I now use my vape and could never go back to smoking.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,787 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cress good news, takes all the worry away.
  • Cress
    Thank you @poppy123456
    And you too @Sandy_123
    Was relieved with the result  :)

I may, one of these days, manage to give up for good...

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.