Will there ever be safe housing for people with disabilities? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will there ever be safe housing for people with disabilities?

Options
sben
sben Community member Posts: 43 Connected

HOUSING FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES

At the moment, there is no social housing, no council housing, and no supported accommodation in the South and South East for people with disabilities.

This includes East Sussex, West Sussex, and Brighton and Hove.

I myself have a disability, and I find it very hard to cope.

Because of my disability, I am at risk of having unconscious seizures, in which I have been having for over 7 years, I am at risk of falls, I am at risk of accidents, especially when cooking, this includes burning food, fires, and injuring myself, and I am also at risk of wondering around without knowing.

I feel that it is a shame that people with disabilities are not in safe housing, and I also feel that people with disabilities are either forgotten or ignored.

I have been told several times by councils and social housing that they are not bothered about people’s health and disabilities, and that they are not concerned about people’s health and disabilities.

I am just wondering. Will there ever be safe housing for people with disabilities.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sben

Sorry to hear about how this is impacting you, accessible and suitable housing can be difficult to find and access, and even more so in certain parts of the country. 

Can I ask, do you have any support from friends, family members or a carer of some sort in your current place? It's concerning to read that you consider yourself to be at risk of all of those things you mentioned there. 

It might be worth gathering a letter from your GP that explains why you need more suitable housing, or possibly referring yourself for a needs assessment through your local authority as that could help you with getting higher up the priority list.

You could also consider contacting Shelter, and Scope has some information on how to find accessible housing that you may find helpful.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • sben
    sben Community member Posts: 43 Connected
    Options
    Hi Ross_Scope
    I do not have any one supporting me, as I am on my own. I do not have any family, and I have been told by council that I am not priority for support.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.