Hi! I've type 1 diabetes + Charcot foot. Am I entitled to anything while unable to work? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi! I've type 1 diabetes + Charcot foot. Am I entitled to anything while unable to work?

Options
Mark5the_Spark
Mark5the_Spark Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Good morning,
This is my first time on this forum.
I have been a type 1 diabetic for 43 years and have currently been diagnosed with Charcot foot.
I am a self employed sole trader.
I have no medical insurance or income whilst being unable to work.
Could anyone advise of any benefits or grants that are available to me please.
Thanks Mark

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Mark5the_Spark and a warm welcome to our community, how are you keeping?

I'd recommend using the Turn2Us benefits calculator to get an indication of what you might be entitled to.  While, you might also be eligible for Personal Independence Payment which is a benefit assessed on the impact of your impairment(s) on your functional ability to carry out a range of activities around the components of mobility and daily living.  If you need any advice around applying for PIP please do ask as our members are incredibly knowledgeable about it and would be happy to help :)

Also, just to advise, I've removed the photo from your profile picture as it contained your works telephone number.  As per our house rules, personal information isn't allowed on the community and I've replaced the photo with an avatar to protect your identity.  

I've renamed the title of your thread and moved it to our 'What benefits am I entitled to?' category to help make your question more visible to others too :)

I hope you're having a nice Thursday.  Take care and hopefully speak again soon.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If you've paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2018 to March 2020 then you'll be able to claim New style ESA but you'll need a fit note from your GP. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance#how-to-apply It pays £74.70 per week (over 25's) for 1 year unless placed into the Support Group and then it continues for as long as you remain in that group.

There's also Universal Credit but this is means tested and whether you're entitled will depend on your circumstances. If you have savings/capital of more than £16,000 you're excluded from claiming. If you live with a part you claim as a couple.

If you claim both of these together then your ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.