Superior semi-circular canal dehiscence and Eagles syndrome — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Superior semi-circular canal dehiscence and Eagles syndrome

Options
LeaBee
LeaBee Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,  I was diagnosed with bilateral Superior semi-circular canal dehiscence, bilateral elongated styloid process and Eagles syndrome in 2018. I also have an odd shaped skull which is squeezing the internal jugular vein left and right and possibly the cause of raised-intracranial pressure. I have Tinnitus both ears and Pulsatile Tinnitus left ear as well as high/low frequency hearing loss. I experience some bizarre and bonkers symptoms such as Tullio's phenomenon and Autophony as well as being generally unsteady on my feet.  Symptoms first started in 2015, but getting a diagnosis has been difficult as the conditions are so rare many clinicians do not automatically think about investigating for them. It is a hidden disability and at times a very embarrassing one, especially at times when I stumble, fall or generally look like I am drunk when out and about. I have become more and more isolated and reluctant to venture out alone and I feel exhausted trying to explain the conditions to friends and family. I am curious to know if any one else has these conditions and if so how have you been medically treated? How do you manage on a daily basis and manage to keep cheerful?  Thank you in advance 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @LeaBee

Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself and I'm sorry to hear that you've had challenges with getting diagnosed and with isolation, that can't be easy. This is a very supportive and welcoming community so I'm sure you'll find friends here and people who understand what you are going through.

Take care
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I have superior canal dehiscence. I remember explaining how I could hear my eyes move left to right and no one beleived me until pointed them to scd. Then they said I couldn’t possibly have that because it’s rare, I pointed out that I am that rare person. I was given no medication for it and sent away with tinnitus happily ringing or shushing in both ears. Happy days. 

just to add, I have gotten used to the tinnitus over the years and the SCD comes and goes oddly.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• LeaBee
    LeaBee Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    @leeCal So nice to make contact with another SSCD person. yeah the hearing eyes move is weird! when I blink it sounds like sandpaper. I also can hear every gurgle in my tummy and bone movement. The tulios is especially weird, the world tilts and my eyes wobble when exposed to certain sounds and I have fallen at the sound of a pneumatic drill ( road works) and with the sound of a broken car exhaust. Travel on the tube is an absolute nightmare with the screeching and the pressure change. Even my own laughter makes the world move!  When I tell people they just don't get it. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I must admit it is nice to hear from someone who also has this condition, though you have it worse than me. When it first occurred I thought the worst, ie that my days were numbered. However after an mri scan found nothing sinister as they call it I settled down a bit. I couldn’t believe that someone with all this tinnitus and as you say sounds of sandpaper scratching could live for much longer. But live I did and, touch wood, still am! 

Over time, several years, I have become used to it to some extent and no longer panic about it, even though it’s a constant irritation really. The doctor I saw told me that their are millions of people worldwide with tinnitus alone, that didn’t help me much especially when he added that’s there is no cure! 

Take care @LeaBee ?

just to add, when I first saw the so called expert in auditory maladies and told him that I could hear my eyes moving he suggested I had a mental health problem in a letter to my GP! I was, as you can imagine, livid!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.