Light Bulbs For Light Sensitivity — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Light Bulbs For Light Sensitivity

Options
OverlyAnxious
OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
Any recommendations for the type, wattage, colour, placement etc for light bulbs that are easiest on the eyes now that the nights are pulling in again?

I find focussing on screens in artificial light pretty much impossible now, and just watch TV on an 'energy saving' brightness setting with all the lights off between dusk & bed.  I always feel a bit lightheaded & dizzy in the dark but adding artificial light makes it worse...especially when having to use the bathroom.  Wondering if there are any types of light that might help with that?

Comments

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 563 Pioneering
    Options
    I have sensory issues, and use a colour changing bulb that is energy efficient, and you can put it as bright as you want, or as dim as you like and in a range of colours. I'm actually afraid of the dark (as I see shadows people at night) so I use it as a night light too.

The one I have is from amazon here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XYFZ4J5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love it and its lasted me over a year now without problems.

I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• OverlyAnxious
    Options
    Thanks @rubin16

Do you find any particular colour best or does it change depending on mood etc?
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 563 Pioneering
    Options
    For me it depends on my mood, I do like a dim purple now and then. but mostly I just have it on dim alot.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I find light fittings that are uplighters are far better so the light goes upwards rather than shining down 

I have uplighter floor lamp so can change where it is positioned in the room 
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've not been able to explore it as I've difficulty leaving the house but you can get tested for coloured lenses that are meant to help with this a lot. I'm really light sensitive too and I think I've made the problem worse for myself by always being in the dark, not having curtains open, not going out etc, so am trying very hard to expose myself to it more. But even using the bathroom with artificial light hurts my head. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is that the setting that can make the colours on your screen warmer, and remove the blue light @ursalacim?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Girl_No1
    Girl_No1 Community member Posts: 152 Pioneering
    Options
    I have sensitivity to blue light, and use all of the suggestions already made and a couple more: 

• Night Light on laptop/devices, 
    • TV settings are set to warm
    • Uplighters in rooms using warm white bulbs
    • Uplighters avoid accidentally seeing a naked lightbulb (instant migraine!)
    • Ceiling lights - warm white bulbs plus diffusers
    • In Bathroom & Kitchen use only minimum number of bulbs in fittings, again warm white LEDs
    • Christmas tree lights/decorations - warm white  
    In addition to the above, I have invested in some Theraspecs from the USA.  They have a specific filter FL-41 designed for migraine sufferers.  I'd tried a few standard migraine glasses from Amazon etc. but they did not help.  Theraspecs are not cheap, but the difference they have made to my life is immeasurable.  They come in indoor and outdoor versions, and can be made to your own prescription if needed.   

What you said about watching tv with the other lights out could be part of the problem .... it definitely is for me.  I cannot tolerate high contrast - dark surroundings/light screen - haven't been able to visit the cinema for decades due to this.  

I hope you find something (or a few things) to ease your discomfort.  

• OverlyAnxious
    Options
    I posted this thread a year ago btw, I know post dates don't show up on some devices.  :)

I never did find any solutions though.  Tried blue light glasses but they gave me a headache!  (Possibly due to my brains resistance to change, which causes secondary issues on top of main issues, very frustrating.)

I have found that orange light is particularly bad for me - even if it's just a picture of a sunset on Instagram or TV!  But that also means that 'warm' light is bad for me.  I'm actually better off with a clean white light, as long as there's no contrast.  Tried a dark drum lampshade which made the problem worse with contrast in the top half of the room.  Tried an up-light shade which made the problem worse with an orangey 'dullness' for want of a better word.  Just ended up putting everything back as it was in the end!
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's interesting. I switched all my bulbs to white light instead of the yellowy orange but they tend to be brighter overall so it was trying to figure out which was worse. Sorry I didn't notice how old the thread was

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.