Public transport — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Public transport

Options
leeCal
leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
edited August 2021 in Coffee lounge
I really don’t like using public transport.
i just never feel safe on it.

how about you?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
― Dalai Lama XIV

Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't been on public transport for about 10 years 

My sensory team are taking me in few weeks on a bus to try it out 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It depends for me on whether the mode of transport I'm taking has adaptations to make it more accessible, and consistency with maintaining those adaptations. For example, trains and buses that announce the next stop, they make the process so much better but every now and again that feature just seems to break or not be switched on. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • GeoffN
    GeoffN Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
    Options
    I prefer Trains, but they are frequently cancelled. Buses, people don't respect the queues and don't give us time to get off before they get on !
  • GeoffN
    GeoffN Community member Posts: 178 Courageous
    Options
    Lack of respect for people with disabilities. Even though I have a stick !

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Like many we haven't used public transport during the pandemic, but that aside we use buses a lot and trains on a regular basis and have no problem with either .
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I use the buses as I don't drive,  but only about once a week or fortnight, also there short rides into  the next village or town. So less then 10 minutes. 
    The bus i get is usually only half full, I wouldn't do it at night.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,337 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven't used public transport for over 10 years and don't intend to use it anytime soon. I have my car so i drive anywhere i need to go.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The main problem with public transport is the public...  I don't feel safe anywhere public!  :|

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    I get taxis, or sometimes walk if it's a short distance depending on my anxiety the day...my brother in law takes me to visit my son, thankfully. 
    Years since I've been on a bus or train, couldn't go on one and don't like to travel too far from home anyway.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,686 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The main problem with public transport is the public...  I don't feel safe anywhere public!  :|

This

And contamination :D
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:

This

And contamination :D
    And the fact that I'm a massive control freak tbh!  (Is that still politically correct?  :# )

Last time I tried to get a bus was May 2014.  Needed to go 3 miles to pick up a car I'd been fixing at a relatives house.  How hard can it be, right?  It was mid morning at the end of a rural service so only about 3 people on there...so air contamination wasn't too bad, and they were elderly so risk of physical harm was low.  Thought I could manage the physical contamination by wearing an extra pair of trousers (like Sheldon's bus pants!) and gloves.  But the preparation didn't work...managed 2 miles and then had to get off as my stomach couldn't take any more, walked the last mile.  Haven't risked it since!  Did try to take a passenger lift in a mates car in 2018, not even half a mile but my stomach couldn't take that either.  This is why it's so much of an issue if I have to stop driving now.  :|
  • leeCal
    Options
    physical safety is my issue mainly, plus you are tied somewhat to timetables of others choosing. 
    I’ll drive for as long as I can. ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 571 Pioneering
    Options
    I get a free disabled bus pass, so I get free public transport anytime I want including trains, trams and bus's the only problem is I have a general fear of them. I don't like being near people I don't know it gives me very bad anxiety, and I don't feel safe. If I have to go somewhere which is rare as I only go out about once a week my, my step dad takes me there.

I've been waiting since march to get my driving license back, and then I can drive again. I can't wait to be able to go out more once I have a car, as I feel trapped at the moment.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Very true Mike 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,686 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @leeCal by physical safety do you mean that you are afraid of someone committing violence against you? Or, do you mean falling over or something like that?
  • leeCal
    Options
    Yes, @66Mustang, I fear being attacked mostly, not only on public transport but anywhere outside really. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Options
    I've had a bus pass for a while now but only used it once. I haven't been on a bus for years, I drive everywhere, if I need to use something else, I use a taxi, their fare is around the same as a bus and its door to door.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.