If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, I'm el21! I experience shaking, which may be essential tremor. How can I come to terms with it?

Options
el21
el21 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, even though I have not been fully diagnosed I have been told my shaking is due to either essential tremor or anxiety, I myself have ruled out anxiety , they started in my hands when I was around 14 and I am not 21 and it has progressed meds dont seem to work they only block it visually but I can feel it travel up my arms and I sometimes make sudden movements without meaning to im finding it hard to accept it , how did you cope with the diagnosis or come to to terms with it? I myself am struggling 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,198 Championing
    Options
    Hi @el21 - & welcome to the community. :)  I'm sorry to read about what you're going through; it must be difficult. Have you discussed the matter further with your GP to see if they can help? Perhaps a referral to get a 2nd opinion might be an idea.
    I think for most people coming to terms with a diagnosis can take time, but as you say you haven't been fully diagnosed, perhaps that's worth pursuing.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,499 Championing
    Options
    Welcome to the community @el21 :) I'm glad you've joined the community, and felt comfortable sharing a bit about your situation. 

Getting a new diagnosis can be really difficult. I've tweaked the title of your post so that others with a similar experience will be able to find your post more easily. I've also moved your post into our category for discussions relating to neurological conditions, as my understanding is that essential tremor is a neurological condition- is that right?

I agree with chiarieds that it'd definitely be worth chasing this up with your GP, and asking whether there's anything else they can do to support you. 

Do you have family and friends around you who can offer you support, even if they can't understand exactly what you're going through? 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.