Half of kitchen floor in council house. Could my mum get compensation for the stress? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Half of kitchen floor in council house. Could my mum get compensation for the stress?

pee14
pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
Hi my mum moved in to a council house 5 yrs ago every winter the kitchen was freezing we don't know why it was so so cold , her heating bills was a top up metre and she was spending more and more and gas , a few weeks ago she had the little dreaded mice , so incommunties sent the pest control , they looked under the kitchen units only to find she had half of a kitchen floor missing in 2 separate places , pest control must of been to this property before mum moved in because they was old bait under there, she has waited a few weeks for this repair and it was done yesterday , she has asked for compensation for the stress of having to cope with a freezing kitchen , heating escaping and the financial difficulty resulting in this also her health conditions asthma oestroarthritis amongst others , can she be compensated for this if anyone knows anything will be appreciated 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

Five years is a long time to live with these issues. Did she report the problems previously?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • pee14
    No she didn't know till pest control discovered it ,she basically put it down and accepted it to be a cold house, good to see you back @poppy123456
  • pee14
    @poppy123456 it's been the perfect access for the mice & rats 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    She could try taking the council to court but I wouldn't hold my breath, ITN have been doing a series on poor conditions in some social housing and all of them look far worse and little if anything has been done.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    @pee14 thank you :) I don't know how you can ask for compensation for something they may not even known was an issue. There's certainly no harm in asking them.

Social housing may have some poor conditioned houses but the same goes for the privately rented houses. Over the years i've lived in some awful houses and had to spend some of my own money to get the house half decent.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • abbyk41
    abbyk41 Community member Posts: 96 Connected
    Just a side note I have always lived private as never been able to get a social flat. Anyhow my conditions got worse meaning I couldn’t go back to my private rented place as had stairs etc. So the council found me this ground floor adapted flat which has a gawjus view I am so lucky and its well maintained my council does seem to fix problems very easily so not all bad at all in fact my private landlords couldn’t give a **** more then this 
  • pee14
    Thankyou everyone but shouldn't a tenancy be thoroughly checked before a new tenant is in place
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    pee14 said:
    Thankyou everyone but shouldn't a tenancy be thoroughly checked before a new tenant is in place
    Council may be different, but private agents definitely don't check places thoroughly.  They wait until you're in and then only fix the things you specifically complain about. 

If the missing floor is hidden under a cupboard, I don't see how they could have known about it from a quick visual inspection.
  • poppy123456
    pee14 said:

I've lived in a housing association property too and i can say the the house definitely wasn't checked before i moved in. I had a list as long as my arm of things that needed repairing or replacing. My kitchen even had missing units and my back door was so bad the rain was coming in down the bottom and the draught was exactly like i was outside.

I've yet to move into any privately rented property with no complaints about something needing repairing. My current house didn't have a working oven and it's integrated so it was the landlords responsibility.
  • pee14
    @OverlyAnxious, I'm sure that whether it's hidden  or not checks should have been in place regardless, and even more so has the missing floor is next to an electrical point, thankyou for all responses ? I will update you  on the process of this complaint.
  • pee14
    edited February 2022
    Hello, 
    Just thought I'd update you on this ,inncommunties insurance paid out 1240 pound to my mum , so it is well worth seeking compensation for their liability in housing repair issues.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    That's good news @pee14 I hope that's a weight off your shoulders for you and your mum :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • pee14
    That's good news @pee14 I hope that's a weight off your shoulders for you and your mum :)it certainly is,thankyou.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.