I've been told I'm being placed in ESA Support Group. I'm confused about how long my award is for — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I've been told I'm being placed in ESA Support Group. I'm confused about how long my award is for

Options
feet1st
feet1st Community member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi, I’ve today received my letter from DWP stating that I’m being placed into the ESA Support Group. I had a paper assessment. There is something in there that I don’t quite understand!
DWP rang me last week to say I was being placed into the support group for a year, my letter today shows the breakdown of the entitlement:-

ESA based on my NI contributions records
LCWA - £74.70
Extra money SG - £39.40
Total income & benefits = £114.10

at the bottom of the award it says -

The amounts on this page apply from 17th August 2021 to 29th November 2021
I don’t understand this as I was told I was in it for a year? I’m just a bit confused, I’ve not claimed anything before it’s only showing 3 months? 
I know benefits are difficult to understand at the best of times, can anyone tell me I’m I reading it wrong, I will ring next week to request the report as it was based on my evidence that I sent.
thank you in advance for your help ??

Comments

• vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,440 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
       It is usually because  the Christmas bonus is paid the 1st full week of December, so you will get a whole £10 more for that week.
  • feet1st
    Options
    @vikingqueen thank you, I wasn’t sure if it had anything to my NI contributions? I’m assuming it is based on my contributions 2018/2019 I know I took semi retirement in 2020 so wasn’t sure if I was entitled to the contribution bit ??‍♀️ I get myself confused in these sorts of matters, simply because I don’t understand the benefits xx
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    Exactly as vikingqueen says. You will get an extra £10 for one week in early December and it will then revert to £114.10. The reference to one year by whoever you spoke to does not mean your ESA will stop after one year. Your ESA Support Group entitlement will continue until such time as a decision is made that you no longer qualify for the Support Group which can only be after another assessment. What you have been advised is that DWP have a note on your file to review you after a year, it may be longer than this before they get around to it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • feet1st
    Options
    @calcotti thank you, I’m grateful to you both for answering my query, I think the Christmas bit threw me, fully understand now ?? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.