There's something wrong with my new mobility scooter. Does anyone know what's wrong with it? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

There's something wrong with my new mobility scooter. Does anyone know what's wrong with it?

Options
Ilandra
Ilandra Community member Posts: 26 Listener
We bought a mobility scooter on Friday 27 August, a Kymco Midi.  I have used it once, and my husband put it on charge for the specified time.  We turned it on yesterday, and the hazard lights are flashing, the bleeper is going and there is a small green light flashing.  My husband has tried following the instructions we found on line, as we have no manual.  I would be so grateful if anyone has any ideas on what the problem might be. 

Comments

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 612 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi welcome to the community,

I don't know much about mobility scooters however it sounds like yours has an anti theft alarm, does the bleeping stop when you insert the keys?
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• Ilandra
    Options
    Hi Rubin16, this is my first reply, how exciting.
    No, nothing stops at all.
  • Ilandra
    Options
    Hi again Rubin, my husband says that when you insert the key, nothing stops, but you can drive the scooter.  Do you think it is some sort of safety feature?
  • rubin16
    Options
    Hi again,

I just did a google search and sounds like your scooter may have a fault with it, mainly the battery pack. Do you know the make and model number of your scooter? The most common fix could be to remove the battery then use a dry cloth or cotton swap to clean the metal contact terminals on the battery and replace see if that helps.

The most common cause for this is overcharging the battery, and will show the scooter beeping with a green flashing light.

I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,775 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

Can you ring where ever it was you bought it from?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ilandra
    Options
    Hi again Rubin16.  My husband says that sounds good, thank you.  The trouble is, we were told by the dealer that we could leave the battery on all night if we wished, as it has a cut off system. They are coming to fit new batteries next week as part of our purchase deal.  I am so frustrated as we have, for a change, a sunny day, and I want to be out there. 
  • Ilandra
    Options
    Hi Poppy.  We bought the scooter on Thursday afternoon, it was delivered on Friday, and the fault occurred on Saturday. I tried to contact the shop all day Saturday, but there was no reply. This doesn't bode well, as I think the shop is the place I ring if I break down and they  hopefully come and rescue me. 
  • rubin16
    Options
    Yeah that is frustrating, maybe try removing the battery and giving it a clean and see if that works, hopefully it fixes it for you. also maybe try phoning the dealer and see if theres a reset you can do (as each model has a different way to reset it).
    Failing that is there a mobility shop near you where you could rent a scooter for the day? (I don't know how much they cost) just means you'll be able to get out for abit.

• Ilandra
    Options
    Thank you again rubin. We did get advice on lineon on how to reset the scooter, unfortunately, it didn't work. The shop didn't answer all day Saturday, we are beset by problems at all turns. I'm just hoping they will come with the new batteries early next week and not later. Whichever, I or my husband, will be on the 'phone to them at 9am  on Tuesday. 
  • Ilandra
    Options
    Hi rubin.  I am full of embarrassment and apologies. My husband decided to go out and try once more to fix the scooter.  He has just called me to go outside.  He turned the key on the scooter and there was silence, and he drove it around the lawn. Guess what?  There is a little switch which you can flick to right or left, to turn on the lights, and you've guessed i'm sure, it was ON.  He is looking very embarrassed, as he should. However, thank you for your advice.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    There's no need to be embarrassed @llandra- these things happen! It is new, after all. I'm glad that it's sorted. Are you planning on going out anywhere nice today? 

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into our category for discussions relating to disability aids, equipment, and technology. I also changed the title slightly so that other members can find it more easily. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ilandra
    Options
    Hi Tori, sorry, I haven't replied to you. No, I haven't really been anywhere today, except along to the local shop for my husband's paper.  For the last few months, I have been using a tiny shopping type scooter which fits in the car, and does 4 MPH. This new scooter is a lot bigger, but still only medium in size.  It will do 4mph and 8mph, but I will stick to 4, as I don't think I am allowed to do 8 on the pavement. I am an 8 stone weakling, and 8mph is far too fast for me,  I can feel myself going into panic mode.  I'll get there eventually.  Thanks for your help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.