How do I no what I’m entitled to any help is appreciated please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How do I no what I’m entitled to any help is appreciated please

Options
charlotte84
charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
Good evening all, I’d like a little bit of help please regarding benefits, so I’m on ESA and I was wondering if I’m entitled to the Sdp or how would I no if I was already getting it I’m a little confused. Thankyou ☺️

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    What benefits do you receive, if any, other than ESA and what type of ESA is it?

I note from another threads that you appear to have applied for PIP earlier in the year (May) but there is also a thread about winning a PIP tribunal in August. I’m confused as to how you could have had a Tribunal in August if you only applied in May.

To get SDP you need to be on income based ESA, in receipt of the Daily Living component of PIP and living alone (or any other adults you live with must also get a disability benefit) and nobody must get Carer’s Allowance or the carer element of UC for looking after you.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • charlotte84
    charlotte84 Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
    Options
    Hello @calcotti I receive pip and I think I get the income related ESA x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,294 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    For the SDP you must first be receiving a disability benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care.

You must also be claiming Income Related ESA, or the old Contributions based ESA. (which can have an income related top up depending on your circumstances) no one must be claiming either carers allowance or carers element of Universal Credit for looking after you. You must also live alone or be classed as living alone, so if you live with other adults they must either be claiming one of the disability benefits mentioned above or they are registered blind.

If you're claiming New style ESA then you won't be able to claim the SDP regardless of your circumstances because it's a Contributions based only benefit. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @calcotti I receive pip and I think I get the income related ESA x
    Do you live alone? Is it the Daily Living part of PIP? Does anybody claim anything for looking after you?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If your ESA is £131.30 per week (£262.60 every 2 weeks) then that's Income Related. If it's £114.10 per week then it's either Contributions based or New style.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2021
    Options
    calcotti said:

I note from another threads that you appear to have applied for PIP earlier in the year (May) but there is also a thread about winning a PIP tribunal in August. I’m confused as to how you could have had a Tribunal in August if you only applied in May.

Yes, i'm confused too. In June there's a thread saying saying the OP had applied for PIP 6 weeks previously and hadn't heard anything. Fast forward 5 weeks and another thread was made saying their Tribunal was successful.

OP are you currently receiving daily living PIP for yourself and this doesn't mean (waiting for a decision after applying)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.