Equality act. Could I get ill health retirement? Could I get redeployed? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Equality act. Could I get ill health retirement? Could I get redeployed?

Options
pjak69
pjak69 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2021 in Work and employment
Hi struggling to cope with demands
of my job, I have long term mh issues and adhd plus medication for both.  I’m social worker age 51 my cognition seems to be slowing whilst work pressure and technicality of the role increases.  I work for local authority for 24 years.  Have had adjustments on and off since 2014 via occ health but not always followed by managers who often change and forget to tell new manager about my work plan.   Could I get redeployed? Thing is, I can’t work with people with mental health issues any longer as it is too painful reminder about my own issues, like a burn out I think maybe.   My memory is quite poor and I seem now to have dispraxia. Could I get I’ll health retirement ? I heard one needs to be sacked for poor sickness. I’m at stage 3 so might be anyhow.   I said all this to my new manager last week  and she told me to go off sick again. 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,628 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @pjak69 welcome to scope, I think if I were you I would involve your union and HR.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there and welcome to the community 

There are a few things that you need to consider 

Another referral to oh who can look at options eg Redeployment,  reasonable adjustments,  medical dismissal 

Redeployment could be an option if there is an alternative role available that suits 

Ill health retirement is not easy and is down to the pension provider to approve.  You do not need to have been dismissed and in fact you are better still being employed while going through the process 

Try and get details from your pension provider or hr manager 

Ill health retirement means you will be taking your pension early and pension provider will have to be satisfied you are no longer able to work 

Medical dismissal could also be an option for you to look into if you are no longer able to work for your current employer in your role or alternative 

Some employers pay a level of compensation but this isn't a legal requirement 

I would discuss with a union if you are in one or your hr department 

Explain your situation and ask what options are available 

• pjak69
    Options
    thank you so much, yes I know Ill health retirement criteria is high bar, I think my employer manages the process, independent doctor etc via local government pension scheme.  I will explore redeployment options and OH. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    OK let us know how you get on or any further questions just ask 
  • pjak69
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.