Money and ATM's — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Money and ATM's

Options
onebigvoice
onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 749 Pioneering
edited August 2021 in Coffee lounge
Hi All,
This is about ATM's and charges to get your own cash out?.  One minute its free, then it costs you up to £2.50 depending on which machine you use, then its free again?
  This also applies to some shops charging for using a card inside the shop especially for Gas and Electric purchases.  I have contacted Lloyd's bank and around Cardiff they did for some time not charge for this facility.  But have noticed that most are now charging for this again.
  The reason for the shop charging was to stop people with 1p in their account from getting £10 on Gas and Electric because they knew that it would take up to three days tocome out of your acount.
  They were still paying for th rental of the caed machne which was at one time every time the machine was used but now is set at how much useage it has so if two machines are rented then if one machine does not take for examle £1000 a week then they can take one away.
  the other problem was that they did listen and give some ATM's the facility of withdrawing £5 as a minimum and no charge, but have now gone back to charging £1.95 and removed the £5 minimum and reset it back to £10.
  In trying to manage till the next benefit payment the withdrawing of £5 and no charge was a god sent and meant the difference between eating and not in some cases, or being able to purchase £5 of either gas or electric.  When budgets are tight every penny counts so the charge of £1.95 for you to get your own money out soon mounts up.
  Lloyd's stated when contacting them did say they were looking at reintroducing the £5 minimum withdrawal and no cost withdrawals but is taking time.  Last contact was over 6 minths ago?
  To change one machine over in each area at a main local shop can't be that hard can it.
  Tesco's don't charge ( Main store ) but you need transport to get their.  
  So come on Lloyd's bring back the £5 minimum withdrawal and the No charge fees.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2021
    Options
    I bank with RBS and its many many years since I was able to withdraw £5 from any ATM.
    As for paying for anything for £10 when you only have 1p in your account and it not being taken for 3 days, that no longer happens it is immediately shown on your account as pending and the amount deducted from your balance.
    There are ATM's that charge for withdrawals and that's wrong, but the customer has a choice.
    The most worrying thing is that following the closure of hundreds of high st. banks there are now 8,000 fewer ATM's than there were a few years ago.
    We recently debated on here the coming of a cashless society and my view then as now is that covid has hastened the onset of this.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Charging for taking out your own cash is wrong in my opinion and baffles me why there are charges at some machines and not others 

Tends to be the smaller outlets with cash machines that charge maybe its for the maintenance of the machine and replenishing of cash 
  • onebigvoice
    Options
    I think its down to the rental of the machines as to whether they charge inside, but out side its would I would have thought been a way of bringing people to your shop to draw cash out and spend it with you.
      It was only after discussions with Lloyd's who own the ATM's by us that they during the start of the pandemic realised that people were dealing in card payments but some out lets would only take cash for Gas and Electric and changed 3 machines that I knew of for this.  They have since changed back to minimum of £10 withdrawal and the Co-op by us is £20 minimum. but now charge between £1.95 and £2.50 for the service?
      so much for helping people budget their money?  use the service 3 times a week times 4 weeks and that's £12 gone just to get your money out? 
  • onebigvoice
    Options
    I have noticed recently that you cannoy deposit money out side the bank any more?  Or is this just round by me?
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm with Halifax (same group as Lloyd's) and I'm able to withraw £5 or £500 which is the ATM limit and I often deposit money and cheques in the machines outside if the bank is closed (late evenings/weekends). No fees. If not you can go in a shop near you and ask for cashback up to £50 at the till.

• onebigvoice
    Options
    I have done the same its just my sons bank does not.  What they do for cash back is mimimum spend £5 and you have to insert the card not tap it , I believe this is incase you have found the card.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.