Carers allowance being deducted when not in receipt — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance being deducted when not in receipt

Options
nikimarie
nikimarie Community member Posts: 17 Listener
edited August 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone, I am new in here but I have posted beforehand.
I used to claim carers allowance for my ex partner we split back in December 2019 and he stopped all benefits we claimed together including carers. I haven’t received this at all since then. As he stopped the joint claim with uc this led to me being put on a single claim with my 5 children. I thought they already new ca stopped, My mental health declined rapidly (not because of the split) and I put in for sickness with uc I have just recently been awarded lcwra and have only just realised they have been taking the the carers allowance amount out of my money all this time. I have left notes on my journal with a response it will be looked into.. twice! I have now made a complaint to dwp as I’ve been paid since and it’s still being taken. Long story but wondering if anyone else has had any similar issues with money being taken when it shouldn’t be. 

Tagged:

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It does happen. Your single claim was probably set up incorrectly when the split occurred and has continued because you did not notice. It will unfortunately take time for them to check this out and correct your payments.
    As a matter of interest, as well as deducting the Carer's Allowance have they been including the carer element in the calculation of the maximum amount?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • nikimarie
    nikimarie Community member Posts: 17 Listener
    Options
    Thankyou,  I think it was included but I have paid that element back from my backdated lcwra as you can’t have both on the claim. So they deduct that element from the lcwra amount from when I have been awarded from 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.