Help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help

Options
MandySH
MandySH Community member Posts: 7 Listener
I had my telephone assessment on 11th June. Having not heard what was happening, I phoned DWP on 29th July & they told me I was being put in the work group. They told me I had to wait for the decision letter before I could appeal. Today I phoned to ask where the letter was. Their response was that they weren't sending me a letter. So how can I appeal!!??
She offered that someone else call me back with an explanation. But this has all sent my anxiety through the roof. I then called PIP to ask when I would get their letter of the decision & I'm told its still with the case manager. I applied for PIP last December!!!! Even more anxiety. Have just called my Doctor, can't get through. I'm on the verge of just ending it all. I feel worthless & forgotten.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MandySH - sorry this all has caused you upset. Unfortunately, when you ring the DWP, you are actually put through to call handlers, who can often say the wrong thing. With ESA you should get a decision letter, as first mentioned.
    I'm also sorry hearing about your PIP claim is taking so long; hopefully not too much longer. You are certainly not worthless, but I understand it must be a strain waiting for decision letters. With your GP, can you ring first thing in the morning to try & get through?
    Take care, & kindly let us know how you get on. :)
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MandySH :) I'm sorry to hear about the stress you've been having with your ESA and PIP claims. I've sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk, so please do take a look at that when you get a moment. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • MandySH
    Options
    Hi @ Chiarieds, thank you for your reply. I'm just at my wits end with the DWP. I'm in so much debt because of the lack of help from them. I wouldn't criticise normally, but I have worked & paid into the system for the last 43 years! All I want is a little help to get me through a few years until I can claim my state pension.
    I emailed my Doctor, so hope to hear a response soon.
    I will update you more if the utter despair doesn't take over.
    Thank you for your kind words.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

A decision letter should have been sent, I’m not sure why you were told differently. If you think you should be in the Support Group then you’ll need to appeal the decision but I’d advise you to get some advice from an agency near you because if you don’t fit the criteria for the Support Group then it’s pointless appealing.

If it’s New Style ESA you’re claiming then do be aware that this is only paid for 1 year, after this then payments will stop. If placed into the Support Group then it’s paid for as long as you remain in that group. 

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MandySH
    Options
    Hi @Tori_Scope, I did reply to your email asking for help. However, I got a automated reply that wasn't helpful at all. Maybe there is another email that I can forward my response to? Thank you for your kindness.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,187 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Unfortunately, paying into the system for all those years doesn't automatically entitle you to be in the Support Group.

For help and support with the Tribunal process i'd advise you to contact an advice agency near you. Start here with that.
    https://advicelocal.uk/ I would advise you to get some advice before requesting the Tribunal because if you don't fit the criteria then there's no point in going any further.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry, I only just saw this @MandySH. Due to the volume of emails we receive to the inbox, we have an automatic reply that goes out to everyone. This is why it wasn't tailored to your situation. We'll take a look at your email tomorrow, apologies for the delay. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.