I'll be receiving an inheritance of over £16,000. Am I allowed to pay it straight into my mortgage? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'll be receiving an inheritance of over £16,000. Am I allowed to pay it straight into my mortgage?

leila84
leila84 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I’m hoping to get advice - I’m on universal credit and I will receive a sum of inheritance over 16000 - I plan to pay it straight into my mortgage, is this allowed? 

Comments

• Nader
    Nader Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    I don't know about this actually, but it would be good to know. I am curious, however, as to why no one has offered an answer yet. 
    Does anyone know??
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @poppy123456 do you know the answer to this 

Sorry you haven't had a reply to this it has probably got missed with being in the housing section 

@Ross_Scope maybe this would be better in uc section 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks @janer1967 for the tag. Paying off debt, including your mortgage is not classed as deprivation of capital for Universal Credit purposes.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • leila84
    leila84 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    @poppy123456 thanks so much, I was very worried 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    As poppy says, paying off debt is allowed. An important point to note though as that you need to spend to pay off the debt within the same UC assessment period as you receive it in order for your UC not to be affected. If you have more than £16,000 in your account on the last day of your UC assessment period your UC entitlement ends.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.