Right to acquire housing association property. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Right to acquire housing association property.

Options
knucklehead
knucklehead Community member Posts: 18 Connected
I was just wondering if anyone has any information on this subject? I am currently living in a one bed flat with noisy neighbours to the side and below me also have mental health and mobility issues and really need to move to quieter ground floor property. I have tried bidding through my housing association website and council housing bidding website to no avail, I am outbid and overlooked every time.  You hear about people buying their council/housing association property and I am that desperate that a family member said they may buy my property for me (if considerable discount applies) with the view to renting it out so somebody else and me going into private rented accommodation. I made a call to the Right to acquire helpline and got some basic information. I have been with the same housing association for 30 years but from what I gather my property would achieve £9,000 discount as it is but if I then move from here into a council property the accumulated 30 years carry over to the council property and I could theoretically buy the property for £21,000 based on the council property being worth £70,000 originally.  I know this is very complicated and all at the council’s discretion but I just wondered if this is at all doable? If this did go ahead would I be able to rent out the property to someone else or would I actually have to stay living in it?  I know this would void any claim for housing benefit and that I wouldn’t be able to sell the property on for 5 years without a loss in value. I’m not sure how much of this is accurate if anyone would like to add their thoughts and expertise it’s much appreciated. 

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.