Partner wants me to move in. I might claim ESA. Would my partner have to add me to her UC claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Partner wants me to move in. I might claim ESA. Would my partner have to add me to her UC claim?

woowoo23
woowoo23 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
What a brill community I've just discovered it !!!
Need some Advice please I'm currently in hospital after suffering a hemiplegic  migraine that has left me with left hand /arm numbness and stutter speech I am employed as a forklift truck driver in a cold store spoke to doc today and I'm not fit to work for the foreseeable as the hemiplegic migraine could reoccur I've suffered a 2nd attack since being in hospital in currently on ssp 
My partner wants me to move in with her so she can take care of me
She works 20 hours a week and gets u c for herself and 12 yr old daughter 
I'm considering claiming esa as work are unable to provide me with any different job would my partner have to add me to her claim I have a uc claim as I recieve it before starting work also what else can I claim ??

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

I an sorry to hear about your condition 

I'm no expert on benefits so will leave the others to advise 

Just wanted to welcome you 
  • woowoo23
    Janer1967 thank you hopefully somebody can point me in right direction ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

You can claim New style ESA 3 months before your SSP ends but you won't be paid anything until your SSP ends.  You'll need to have paid the correct amount of NI contributions in tax years April 2018 to March 2020. It pays £74.10 per week (over 25's) You will need your SSP1 form and a fit note from your GP to be able to claim this.

If you move in with your partner then you will need to claim Universal Credit as a couple because it's a means tested benefit. Either of you can report the changes onto your journal and you'll be sent a linking code to join the claims together. Your SSP will be classed as earnings and reduce the amount of UC you're entitled to.

When you claim UC you should report your health condition and send in fit notes from your GP and continue to do this until you're assesses for the work capability assessment. Details in link. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition-quick-guide/universal-credit-if-you-have-a-disability-or-health-condition

If you claim both of the above benefits together then the ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. If you're entitled to the ESA then i'd still advise you to claim it because it's not means tested and could be useful in the future. It also pays class 1 NI credits where as UC pays class 3.

If your partner currently claims the single person discount for council tax then they will need to report the changes with their local council because this will end when you move in.

PIP is a disability benefit but for this you need to have had the condition for at least 3 months and expect it to last at least a further 9 months. It's not awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activities based on the PIP descriptors. If you've had your condition for at least 3 months and been in hospital for more than 28 days then you will need to wait until you leave hospital to start your claim. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woowoo23
    Thank you poppy123456 it's like a mine field !!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.