Autistic Female Role Models — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autistic Female Role Models

Options
Shoeoholic
Shoeoholic Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited September 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity

Hello,

My daughter, aged 10 was diagnosed with Autism, last week, after a long journey. She also has ADHD. At the weekend I told her about her autism diagnosis, I used a story book about a girl with autism and we had a discussion about it. Her first response is that she's a 'bit scared'. I've been looking for some autistic female role models to give her some inspiration and positivity, but haven't really found any that I think she would relate too. When I google celebrities a lot are older such as Daryl Hannah. Does anyone know of any younger autistic females that blog or are in the public eye that I could show her? She's interested in animals and crafts.

Thanks for your help :)

Tagged:

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Shoeoholic

Congratulations on the diagnosis. I am sorry that your daughter currently feels scared of the diagnosis though. Have you heard about Greta Thunberg? She is a young celebrity activist with autism  :) You can find her on places like YouTube and has a book!
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Shoeoholic :) Welcome to the community!

Does your daughter enjoy watching videos? I found a few female YouTubers with autism who talk about life with autism amongst other things. I haven't really watched their videos, so perhaps you could take a look through and see if any might appeal to your daughter? 
    There are also some female TikTokers with autism who might have some videos that appeal to you and your daughter. Here's an article from The Mighty listing just a few of them

Successful Paralympian Jessica-Jane Applegate may also be someone to show your daughter.

As she has ADHD, I'd also encourage you to check out How To ADHD on YouTube. I really enjoy her videos :)

If I think of anyone else, I'll let you know!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,619 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not young or female but as she's interested in animals, she probably watches Chris Packham's programmes?  :)
  • Shoeoholic
    Options
    Wow thanks everyone there’s some great ideas here, so glad I posted ?

I will have a look at some of the blogs with her over the weekend. She asked me for her book about a girl with autism last night, so I think it’s sinking in and she’s becoming more comfortable with her diagnosis.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Shoeoholic

Thanks for updating us with your daughter's progress. I am really happy to hear your daughter is reaching out for resources and becoming more comfortable with her diagnosis. If there is anything else I can do to help, please do not hesitate to ask :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's good @Shoeoholic :) Have you been able to find good book recommendations? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Shoeoholic
    Options
    For books I’ve found a few especially on the female presentation but always open to recommendations. Thanks everyone ?
  • wonderfullyneurodiv
    wonderfullyneurodiv Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Have you tried the book 'The State of Grace' by Rachael Lucas? It might be one that would be great for your daughter in a few years time and fab for adults close to her now - I believe it's written by the mother of an autistic teen and it's a beautifully sweet story of the life of an autistic teen girl. It describes the sensory side so well it was uncomfortable to read at times as I also have strong sensory needs but great to explain to people who haven't. It also explains a lot of what can go on inside the mind of an autistic teen girl rather than focusing on the external presentation.  Lots of people have left reviews saying they wished they had read this as a teen as it felt like finally someone understood when they read it. I am in a similar boat to you with my daughter receiving a diagnosis of Autism and ADHD this week and I'm hoping this book will help her, when she feels ready to read it ☺️
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hello @Shoeoholic

I found this website when helping another user on the forum last year. It's called the Autistic Girls Network, but they have a huge list of different resources that may be able to help :) 

There are also a few TikTokers with Autism and ADHD which may be more her age. There is an article on Medium which I'd check out.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello there @Shoeoholic! I would recommend the following female role models for Autism:

Also I found this online which you may find interesting: 

I am not an expert, although my brother has Autism and I have personally tried to gather as much information as I can; hope this helps. Wishing you and your daughter well with this Autism Diagnosis journey!  :)  :)      

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

• L_Volunteer
    Options
    I am autistic and can only agree with those autistic female role models recommended! Purple Ella is a particular favourite  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.